Losing Anchors

kingpig

I have lost 2 anchors recently the last one being a sarca :1badmood:

I have the anchor rope set up with a D shackle joining the rope to 5 meters of chain, D shackle joining chain to a carabeener clip. carabeener clip to anchor. This makes changing the anchor easy :biggrin2:

The first time the D shackle came undone. I got new shackles drilled holes through the shackle & bolt, put a small stainless split pin though. (Fixed that)

Yesterday the anchor came off the carabeener clip.

Has this ever happened to anyone else.

Not happy

Kingpig

I have had exactly the same :mad3:

Tossed the anchor out and 5 mins later realised I was drifting out to sea :thumbdown:

Pulled up the anchor rope for no anchor, it came undone at the D shackle :1badmood:

Now I check the shackles before I leave home every trip :1prop:

Of course they have not been loose yet :1clap:

cheers

Kingpig

Yes it happened to me but only once, it was the one time I didn't have the shackel moused.

You need to "mouse" them shut with a cable tie.

It may make it a bit slower to change quickly, but it is safe and can be snipped off with a pliers or broken with a screw driver.

Was the karabiner auto locking?

Cheers.

Robbie.

Edited by Robbielites

I have had exactly the same :mad3:

Tossed the anchor out and 5 mins later realised I was drifting out to sea :thumbdown:

Pulled up the anchor rope for no anchor, it came undone at the D shackle :1badmood:

Now I check the shackles before I leave home every trip :1prop:

Of course they have not been loose yet :1clap:

cheers

I carry 2 anchors. Fit one to suit. whenever we go out. Tighten with 6 in Shifter. (Kept in glove box)

Never had any troubles. You start putting extra's in line. Carbeneers etc. You asking for trouble.

Takes 2 min's to switch anchors when needed.

Plus.. DON'T use cheap shackles. Go to Nobles. and buy small lifting shackles to suit. Or a Locked pin Stainless shackle. Pin can't come right out.

Cheaper in the long run.

Macka17

Hi guys

Does anyone know anyone that does scuba diving??? If you lock in the GPS position of your anchor when you lose it, it should be possible to retrieve it! Could be a lucrative sideline!

I actually heard of someone tossing their first anchor in (not attached to the boat!) Skipper said "Don't worry, we have another one" and tossed that one in ...... it also was not attached!

Oooooops

Cheerio

Roberta

... a diver and gave me a spare pick anchor that he found whilst diving on a reef when i bought the boat.

I found one at Boondooma when I was kayaking in amongst the trees! The level had dropped so much it was easy to retrieve!

Cheerio

Roberta

I took my mate out in the harbour today and he threw the anchor out but then tied up the short rope i had there to tie to the pontoon instead of the main rope, after we started drifting i knew something was up and sure enough it was gone, i returned to where i lost it some time later and spotted the rope still floating there and we got it back! talk about lucky

best way is to tighten the shit out of it with a set of pliers, and then hit it with a hammer so it wont come un done.

touch wood i havent lost one yet, only when snagged on a reef

later if u wanna change anchor just use an angle grinder and buy a new `d` shackle

post-89-1168288084_thumb.jpgI have lost one anchor using spring loaded clips.

The chain falls on the clip, forcing it open, and then no anchor.

I now use a different type of clip, that uses a metal wire spring mechanism.

no problems for the last 5 years or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes

Diving for anchors is a lucrative business. The boat locker at Mona Vale will sell them on consignment. A big plough anchor for a yacht is worth in escess of $200 second hand. When I was a younger man i scratched a bit of a living out of it. There is plenty of blokes doing it now. Good spots to find lost anchors are Coasters retreat, mackeral beach, Portugese Beach and Towlers bay. You only need to find 2 or 3 a week to make a wage.

davo

Yes

Diving for anchors is a lucrative business. The boat locker at Mona Vale will sell them on consignment. A big plough anchor for a yacht is worth in escess of $200 second hand. When I was a younger man i scratched a bit of a living out of it. There is plenty of blokes doing it now. Good spots to find lost anchors are Coasters retreat, mackeral beach, Portugese Beach and Towlers bay. You only need to find 2 or 3 a week to make a wage.

davo

There must be tens of thousands of dollars worth at Mollineux point in botany bay, we see people loosing anchors every day we are there

Havent any of you guys learnt? LOL

Carabeena's are designed for Abseiling... they are a quick release device designed to be able to be undone easily under load!!!!!!!! DOH!!!!

Spring loaded ones are probably worse than screw gate type.

Seriously Galvanised D-shackles are the only way to go... but test them first!!!

If you tighten them with pliers or a shifting spanner make sure you can't undo them with your fingers....

If you can reject them like John west!!! they are cheap so you shouldnt be.

Now here is a serious tip for you too...

If you are tired of snagging sand anchors and loosing them... you can either buy yourself a new anchor with the sliding ring....or

Drill a hole near the head of your sand anchor and attache your rope and D-shackle there.... then where your old hole was use a thick paper clip like a garden tie and with a couple of twists last the rope along the anchor shaft....

This actually works better than the slip ring anchor as with the slip ring you may not be able to get the ring to slide down the shaft to put it out backwards....

Now if you pull hard enough (often with your motor) the paperclip will undo and you will have a direct line of pull on the rope to the head of the anchor and up it comes.....

my uncle who is a retired boat builder showed me this years ago..... it also works on solid reef picks..... and costs nothing.... well 5c for the paperclip.....

good luck

Rodger

Yes

davo

From the sounds of some of the earlier posts there are a few divers getting a bit proactive and stealing anchors while they're still attached!!!