Bad News, Good News

arpie

Hi guys

Been off the water for a few days (visitors!) They left this morning, so had the kayak on the ute before they were out of the drive! Just before high tide - out for about 3hr - NOTHING!! Very disappointing! Had 3 hits from flatties, but they didn't connect. That was the bad news!

I was actually hoping to try out the 'modified' mullet float, so went to one of the spots they usually hang out (on a rising tide) - couldn't even spot one! Tried berleying them up with spare bread - only got the odd bream splash.

I was in the lease searching for the mullet when I spotted the float I had lost last week (with mullet attached at the time!) The float had been well & truly wedged between the oyster rack & the protective wire covering! The good news is that I managed to pull it out in one piece (using my net), & it was only missing some hooks!

I'm stoked! The mullet obviously got it stuck in the wire & was then able to break the line & escape! A win/win situation for both of us.

Spoke to some other boaties this morning - very quiet all round, from what they said. Saw some huge leather jackets in the leases tho! The mongrels chew your sps something chronic! Very aggressive, too - approaches anything that moves!

Also saw heaps of big blackies - but always close to the fences & structure, so would be difficult to use a float to get them.

Better luck next time!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

Forster is one of my favourite places. You are very lucky to live there.

Hi Derryn

I'd have to agree with you on that one - but I may be just a tad biaised!!! Been here 7 years now & it is better every day! Even a fish-free day out on the water is still a fun day!

I am still shaking my head about getting the float back (made by me, so instantly recognisable!!) I couldn't believe it when I saw it. I said "No Way!" The interesting bit was trying to retrieve it in the kayak, with a strong in-coming tide! It was about 2-3ft under water & I couldn't reach it by hand. That is why my kayak has lots of ropes on it, to tie off onto anything I can find - even with a wire 'hook' to grapnel onto bits! I just didn't want to fall out!

Give us a 'yahoo' when you are next in the area - great to catch up with a fellow Raider!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta