Flushing Motor In A Drum

Davemmm

I only have a 9.9 and the prop etc fit into an old large esky.

The question is it detrimental to flush the motor in the esky (or for those with larger motors a 45 gallon drum) with the exhaust etc running off straight back into the water that is flowing up into the motor. The esky is kept topped up whilst the motor is running but the water is obviously not perfect once the crap runs through it.

dave

The question is it detrimental to flush the motor in the esky (or for those with larger motors a 45 gallon drum) with the exhaust etc running off straight back into the water that is flowing up into the motor. The esky is kept topped up whilst the motor is running but the water is obviously not perfect once the crap runs through it.

dave

I do the same on my 9.9 Dave although I use a bigger rubbish bin and I like the expelled water to exit outside the bin.......like you say you keep the Esky topped up with fresh water. I run it till the fuel runs dry

dave

I doubt there is any problem with that its only for cooling nothing more, in fact it might help! I'm assuming its a 2 stroke and given that the exhaust contains portions of unburnt oil, this may help lube your water pump etc and coat the internals to help prevent rust.

I've laid an old towel, heshen bag on top of the water that picks up the oil film from the top of the water as I don't like cleaning the driveway later.

I do the same thing and save the water due to water restrictions using the water again and again. Its what most places that service boats do, and its the way grandad did it before earmuffs.