Port Hac-king

Fuj

Howdy Raiders,

First time poster so bear with me if I start woffling.... Bought my first boat over xmas, a little tinny to hit the bays and rivers.

Thursday morning I decided to take my mate Rich fishing for his b'day and hopefully to christen my new boat with a fish or two. After smashing the goon bag over the bow we're off down the Port Hacking.

2nd cast at some rocky bank I scored a big hit which resulted in a nice bream, going a very healthy 38cm. That was on a Berkley dropshot smelt on 6lb gear. That was it for the next few hours as light showers came thru and things slowed right down. After a handful of throwbacks we decided to hit some pontoons and moored boats in and around the small bays.

Working our way back to the ramp, we drifted along the shore at Grays Point. I drifted a prawn under one of these pontoons and was hit on the retrieve but did not hook up. Rich dropped his sp at the flash of fish and before u know it the drag started to sing........ and sing a sweet song indeed!

The fish did about five runs, each time trying to head to the nearest mooring. Rich was handling the situation very well, resisting the fight without loosing his cool. By this time the fish had towed us a fair way and the extra weight took its toll, 10 minutes later a rat king hopped on board... a first for Rich! Coincidently he was using MY bream rod as his set-up had bird-nested just moments before the hook up!! (another coincidence, Rich bought me the reel for my 30th...). Still not bad on 6lb gear and the little Shimano Sahara handled well above it's weight. After a few snaps she was released to fight another day.

I was surprised to see the kings so far upstream considering the rain we've had, but Port Hacking is all about surprises.

Seeya's on the water!

Fuj.

post-2112-1168038373_thumb.jpg