Fly By

Geoff

post-731-1168228153_thumb.jpg

The caption down the bottom reads,

This is an actual fly by during deployment of the Nuclear Aircraft Carrier USS Stennis. The pilot

was grounded for 30 days , but he likes the picture & thinks it was worth it :1yikes:

Geoff

PS See additional post added below , 8/1/07

Edited by Geoff

There was some additional copy that came with the photo although they are not related.

Below is part of an artical written by Rick Reilly , a US magazine writer

He details his experiences when given the opportunity to fly in a F-14 Tomcat.

Geoff

The U.S. Navy invited me to try it. I was thrilled. I was pumped. I was toast! I should've known when they told me my pilot would be Chip (Biff) King of Fighter Squadron 213 at Naval Air Station Oceana in Virginia Beach.

Whatever you're thinking a Top Gun named Chip (Biff) King looks like, triple it. He's about six-foot, tan, ice-blue eyes, wavy surfer hair, finger-crippling handshake -- the kind of man who wrestles dyspeptic alligators in his leisure time. If you see this man, run the other way. Fast.

Biff King was born to fly. His father, Jack King, was for years the voice of NASA missions. ("T-minus 15 seconds and counting ..." Remember?) Chip would charge neighborhood kids a quarter each to hear his dad. Jack would wake up from naps surrounded by nine-year-olds waiting for him to say, "We have a liftoff"

Biff was to fly me in an F-14D Tomcat, a ridiculously powerful $60 million weapon. I was worried about getting airsick, so the night before the flight I asked Biff if there was something I should eat the next morning.

"Bananas," he said.

"For the potassium?" I asked.

"No," Biff said, "because they taste about the same coming up as they do going down."

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...