Berowra 8/1

sk.

Gday All

Took the tinny out today for the first time in about a month, great to get out :thumbup:

Put in at Berowra at low tide and immediately got some black crabs.

Fished the moored boats first, me with sp's and mate with crabs. Right at the start I lost a big bream on a pumpkinseed grub due to a failed knot. Ive caught a few around 35cm and this one would of towed them backwards. I was not happy :mad3:

Proceeded to fish the large majority of boats for several throwbacks, 1 just legal and the dreaded chopper tailor. The wind picked up at the end and made it a pain.

We then moved to a bank, for not much luck, only a tailor. Then moved to calabash where I caught a few more throwbacks and some tailor. I lost some allright legals on crabs on a jighead, just couldnt hook the bastards. After missing a good hit, I smashed the rod and broke it in half :thumbdown: It wasnt the best day.

We went back to the boats in the wind, but that was useless, and we were nearly going to call it a day when we decided to use the crabs up. Went back to calabash for one last hooray at high tide. My mate finally broke his clean sheet and boated a legal at 27cm. Finally :biggrin2: From their on he got reefed up once by a 35cm+ fish and missed another 2 good hits. :mad3: In between we got a few throwbacks aswell. We had came across a hot bite but unfortunately we burned through the crabs. We then flogged the area with sp's, but not even a touch.

So overall, was good to get out, but we missed to many good fish. Going to try again tomorrow.

If their is anyone out their that can help us with the best way to fish/rig these crabs, it would be appreciated :thumbup: And if you know of any other hot spots around Berowra :biggrin2:

Thanks

Cheers Shaun

Fish the crabs unweighted on a 1 or 1/0 hook and fish fairly heavy. Years ago when we started fishing the area with crabs we used our spinning gear and 6lb leaders and have since moved up to 14lb siglon and all but locked up drag. Not exactly sportsfishing but if u want some fish for a feed its the only way to do it. Largest fish we have landed went 2.16kg gilled and gutted and we have been blown away by plenty of others even on the elephant gun gear that we use. Fish the banks further away from the ramp up towards joe crafts creek and fish the run up tide on the shady side of the river.

Edited by shane87

Fish the crabs unweighted on a 1 or 1/0 hook and fish fairly heavy. Years ago when we started fishing the area with crabs we used our spinning gear and 6lb leaders and have since moved up to 14lb siglon and all but locked up drag. Not exactly sportsfishing but if u want some fish for a feed its the only way to do it. Largest fish we have landed went 2.16kg gilled and gutted and we have been blown away by plenty of others even on the elephant gun gear that we use. Fish the banks further away from the ramp up towards joe crafts creek and fish the run up tide on the shady side of the river.

Geez - The number of times I've headed off up Berowa Creek and never thought of dropping a line in only 5 minutes up river. I hate it when I miss something obvious.

But where in Berowa do you find these crabs and how do you catch them?

cheers

Mysterythecat