Will Adding Rollers To A Trailer Assist With Roll-on/off

wyldchyld01

Hey guys n gals,

Well i dunno if this is the right forum for it so please move the thread if there is somewhere better.

We have an 18ft Swiftcraft Explorer (not surprised if you've never heard of it lol) on dual axle trailer (4 centre rollers and two double tilt side rollers for support). This seems like way too few a number of rollers when i look at other trailers at the ramp which are carrying much lighter aluminium/plate hulls compared to our composite one.

Now i want to add more centre rollers but because they are mounted to the cross beams on the trailer it sort of means me trying to make a bracket. A new trailer is an option later on as there are a few more issues with this trailer i don't like and i will need to get the cash together.

Does anyone know if i make these brackets for the centre and side rollers (more rubber) will it actually assist with the roll movement of the boat, currently using the sudden stop method to get her to roll off the trailer (weight is just over the 1.5 tonne mark), or am i wasting my time and it's better to have a new trailer designed straight up with the extra support. Finally with the extra roller support would anyone like to guess if i would still have the same roll on/off issues that i do now anyway???

have a photo or two so you can see what i mean but i can't post it, getting responce that it's too big (480kb jpg???).

Cheers all

Brenton

Hi Bj I really do not think that adding more centre rollers is going to help at all, perhaps what might help is getting new rollers and centre pins if damaged and make sure when putting them on that you use a level line to get them all level!!! and the boat should just come off freely

Cheers

ta dorado2, that was my fear :( . all even, new pins and rollers (hah don't bother with the flashy self centering ones, my boat doesn't even take note that it there, and yes it's the right way round lol)

New trailer design it is then, gotta go talk to the bank now and she's not big on spending lol

Brenton

Hi Bj I really do not think that adding more centre rollers is going to help at all, perhaps what might help is getting new rollers and centre pins if damaged and make sure when putting them on that you use a level line to get them all level!!! and the boat should just come off freely

Cheers

BJ , would have to agree with Dorado. 4 rollers should be enough. When the boat is next off the trailer have a close look at the condition of the center rollers both the exterior & interior , ie how they spin on the axle.

Are there any indications they have become "egg shaped" on the shaft.

Suggest these be replaced first prior to considering any additional rollers

How much weight is on the side rollers , should be only enough to keep the boat balanced

Hope this helps

Geoff

Geoff, tah, I've just recently relpaced all pins and rollers (annual maintenance) but thanks and yeah the side rollers (multi rollers) are balancing the boat only but again there doesn't seem enough support there, man can't load a photo on site. best I could do was this http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v348/wyl...1/vigor%20boat/, appreciate the assistance thanks all

Edited by BJBoating

BJ As the pins & rollers have been replaced it tends to narrow the options considerably . Have you taken the rig to a local trailer manufacture , assuming there is one around the Coff's area or a boating outlet for their comments

In reference to the bracket availability , can see your problem regarding the fitting of additional rollers but check this out it may give you a few ideas.

http://www.biasboating.com.au/trailer_roller.html

Photo resizing , try ,

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...showtopic=11144

One other aspect , what is it like when retreiving the boat , easier , harder , about the same

Regards

Geoff

Edited by Geoff

he he he, man am i going to have fun looking through that site, ta geoff. As far as retrieving goes it was a little easier once they were all replaced but not a major difference (could've been that I had had a break from winching lol).

Have had a chat to a couple of mates in the mean time that has brought me around to "just replace the thing". The Coffs ramp is fairly steep and we are going to have a trailer made with a lower sling/support point for the keel, should help (she can basically lift off the trailer but held in place by side uprights), and more multi rollers on the rear and sides to help hold it in position on the retrieve.

This all came about as one of the guys measured the beam width and found that the boat is almost on the (oversize) illegal side of things to be towed (well at least it is without side courtesy lights on the trailer, think caravan) which as you can well imagine gave us all a great "hell of a shock" as that hadn't even been considered by the previous trailer builder. So unfortunately it's back to the drawing board and redesign/build a trailer that is legal for us to tow (btw not even the rego check guys ever mentioned width nor prob checked it).

Thanks

BJ

don't you just love starting a project and finding more and more things to do on it lol