Hooks In Lures

Fishing Guru

Hey everyone,

I just came back from Hawaii and got some un-rigged trolling lures that are 7 inches long. Yesterday i went to the local fishing tackle shop to get rigs for them and bought Black Pete custom rigs. Today I rigged up there lures but i noticed that the second hook on the rig stick out about 5 cm on one and 3cm on the other three. Will this affect the way the lure runs or the overall look of the lure and minimise the hits?

Thanks,

The Guru

Hi FG

Some part of the hook should remain within the skirt for you to be able to claim any records if you are lucky enough to make that catch of a life time.

Having the hook further back in some instances increases the hook up rate and generally wont effect the way the lure runs.

I wouldnt worry about them being different. Are the skirts different lengths?

Evets

Hi FG

Some part of the hook should remain within the skirt for you to be able to claim any records if you are lucky enough to make that catch of a life time.

Having the hook further back in some instances increases the hook up rate and generally wont effect the way the lure runs.

I wouldnt worry about them being different. Are the skirts different lengths?

Evets

Thanks for the help bud!

One lure is a 9 inch and the other three are 7 inches but i was worried about it sticking out more!

The Guru

Guest IFishSick.

In most cases the further back the hook is, the more hook ups you get. As long as the eye of the hook is within the skirt it is a legal lure. You can put a couple of beads on to make them both the same if you want but i prefer to have mine rigged up so the point of the hook is just on the back of the skirt.