Fillet Knife

pekingduck

G'day everyone.

I'm looking for a new kick ass fillet knife. Something very sharp that can stay sharp.

I've used heaps of the cheaper ones and blunt pretty easily..maybe cos I use them to cut fishing lines and stuff.

This one will be a dedicated knife for fish only. ANyone know what brands I should be looking for and where to get them.

thanks

Guest claudia

Hi

best filleting knife i have used is the 7" kershaw floating fillet knife. Has durable belt sheath with twist lock to secure your knife.

They are made in Japan

blade is 18.1cm and the overall knife is 32.4cm.

Kershaw products are guaranteed for lifetime. It is a floating knife, so if you drop it in the water it floats to the surface. flexible blade improves handling and contol and it has a famous shaving sharp edge.

There is also a knife sharpener called lansky. The Lansky will help you keep you knife sharp. Kershaw retails for $40.00.

We also have black magic filleting knife and they are all in the mid range price.

Feel free to give us a call or pm us if you have further questions.

cheers

claudia

Edited by claudia

Guest danielinbyron

I think your on the right track keeping one for filleting only mate .Its also advisble i think to be the only person that sharpens it ,in my household we have our own knives for filleting ..These are seperate to cleaning and gutting knives.. Apparently different actions on the sharpening steel are detrimental to the blade ..All good fine blades will lose there fine sharpness with use , its also important to have good cutting boards. A bit like stereos and watches the germans make good ones , the japanese , the english, swiss etc.

I also want to be able to cut through bone with my knife , which is worth conscidering .

Dexter Russel

These are commercial grade knives, and are used by most of the folks working at the fish markets.

You wont be dissapointed with the performance.

Guest danielinbyron

just saw those dexter russels on the old bay of e quite cheap ... does this make sense are they usually reasonably priced or are they likely to be knock offs

You should be surprised at how long it will hold its edge Sammy!

Make sure you give it a good wash and let it dry after each trip as they are prone to a little surface rust.

ive worked in a seafood restaurant for about 10 years and personal favourite is Wusthof but these

are pretty high end knives.Id have 1 for just filleting,utility scissors for cutting the ribcage,or a good

serrrated edge knife for this, but to cut say a 20kg jewie into cutlets i use a sharp cleaver to slice

down to the bone and a small mallet to knock it just through he bone and then keep slicing ,it wont take

you long to finish him.As long as you've got about 30cm of blade,plenty of flexibility you should be right.

TRY TO GET YOUR HANDS ON ONE BEFORE YOU BUY. :biggrin2:

CRAIG

You should be surprised at how long it will hold its edge Sammy!

Make sure you give it a good wash and let it dry after each trip as they are prone to a little surface rust.

Its sharp as buggery mate, as long as the edge doesnt chip going through bones i will be happy... i have a swag of old filleting knives that are totally stuffed

G'day Pekingduck ,

At the end of the day , you basically get what you pay for. I have a Mundial knife that I have been using for nearly 25 years , and it ( as all my knives) is sharp enough too shave with!! The thing with Mundial knives , is as they are made of a very hard steel , they are a bit of work to put a good edge on , but once you have the edge , it lasts a long , long time .

Filleting knives are really only designed to cut through flesh . Bones , wire trace , fencing wire etc will wreck the edge in a big hurry!!

Here are some brands that you might consider , but be warned , knives at this level are not cheap.

Mundial

Victorinox

Wusthoff Trident

Twin Zollingen

Furi

Buying the knife is really only half the purchase , you need to invest in a good quality steel to keep the edge keen. Dick steels are a well known brand.

Also , a good oil or Diamond stone for setting the edge up .

Try to avoid " miracle" knife sharpeners , after a bit of use , you may find that you dont have a lot of blade left!!

Ross