Buying From The Usa

Jethro

My mum is off to the states next week for a couple of weeks R&R. :insane:

While she is there I am thinking about getting her to pick a Minn Kota for my new boat. For a 55lb autopilot I have been quoted $575 USD (Approx $820AUD) compared to $1370 here.

My question is how do the standard US models hold up in saltwater? Has any one ever bought a Minn kota in from the states?

I know that it wont be covered by warranty but is there anything else I am overlooking?

G'day Jethro,

I just brought a Ripe tide AUtopilot bowmount 55 back from the states. I paid 719 USD.

No problem getting it back in you may have to pay duty on the price above your duty free allowance (400AUS) but that will depend on the customs oficer you get.

My only caution would be, especially if its your mum bringing it back, that they are large, bulky and difficult to transport Mine was in a box about 5feet long and a foot by two square and weighed 26 kg so you might get biffed for excess baggage as well.

Still trying to find time to fit mine but looking forward to it

Regards POGO

I know that it wont be covered by warranty but is there anything else I am overlooking?

17091[/snapback]

There have been quite a few posts in recent times about problems with the APs and the foot controls, so I'd be thinking twice about not having a warranty.

Pogo - I didn't think about the size, thanks. I better check with the old girl first.

Ozy - Its a tough decision with warranty and I have heard the same things as you about the foot pedals. Might have to think about it a bit more over the weekend

I have had problems with my MK 55AP foot controls over a period of 2 years and it is not uncommon. However, with that price saving, you can afford to buy a few new replacement ones and still be in front (they cost about A$190 here). They would be a bit heavy to carry...

Strewth

Thanks guys

David - Someone else mentioned the same thing to me. But I have spoken to others who have used MK AP from the USA and they have not had a problem.

I guess its something MK uses as a scare tactic. Buth north is north no matter what hemisphere you are in :D

The MK have a compass in them, but it is not a compass that recognises exact points such as N,S,E,W. It will hold course where ever you point it, so it doesnt matter what continent you happen to be on, you point it a point in the distance and it will hold that course.