Let Me Check My Diary . . .

Mondo Rock

During the weekend just passed I was once again reminded that fishing is all about knowledge. Knowing where to go, when to go there and what to do when you get there.

We fished Brisbane Waters for 6 hours on Sunday morning for six flathead, but all six were caught in a 30 minute window. If we'd had the 'knowledge' we could have just rocked up for that half hour session of mad fishing action and then gone home. With really good local knowledge we could have moved from hotspot to hotspot throughout the day, catching each one at its peak and enjoying a REALLY good day on the water.

So, like all addicted fishermen, I've started keeping a diary of fishing trips, including a whole range of information that I think could be relevant to future fishing decisions. Problem is, it's all over the shop. Scraps of paper, friend's computers etc - and even when I do find it it's a bit difficult to search through it for meaningful info.

My question therefore is whether anyone is aware of fishing database software that is specifically set up for this kind of a diary. If so, what's it like to use?

Mondo

I am not sure about your question about fishing specific data bases but a few years ago I set up a database using MS ACCESS as I am fairly proficient at using it. I suggest if you don't already know how to use it get a dummies book for aroud $10 which will guide you through how to set it up and do queries.

Knowledge of tides etc is great but a lot of the time (if not most) I catch fish when I break all the preconceived rules as i am sure you have. If i only went fishing when I thought I was going to catch fish, I would hardly ever get to go.

All the best

davo

Mondo. Access is good but challenging to use especially for a one off / first time.

Excel can do the job , is easier to use but with out the bells & whistles still, the colums can be sorted but will need to use common termonology in the cells.

Here are a few headings to consider

Date:

Time Fished:

Tide, running in / out

Location/GPS:

Drifting / anchor

Weather, cloud cover

Wind direction , strength

Barometer reading

Water Temp:

Depth

Moon Phase

Baits:

Caught:

Notes:

Check out Google search , Fishing Database. There are quite a few web sites to review

Geoff