Permatrim To Rectify Porpoising

mattdan

Hi all,

Just wanted to know if anybody can help.

I have noticed that my boat suffers from porpoising. When this happens I trim in but it doesn't seem to flatten out and 99% of the time I am finding myself having to power off to stop it then having to start and reset again.

My boat is stern heavy so I think this is where my problem is stemming from, but I am unable to do much about it, due to under floor tank, oil tank and battery, also I have a pod at the stern on which my motor is mounted.

I have search the forum and many have mentioned motor height. I have to check it but I think my cav plate is in line or just higher then the bottom of the boat, so from what I have read this seems to be about right. I am a bit dubious about moving the motorup or down as I don't yet know enough about this and its effects on the peformance handling side of things.

I talked to the guy from permatrim and he advised a permatrim will solve my problems. This is all well and good but I would like to hear from others who have experienced similar and fitted a permatrim and whether it has helped or not as I don't want to go drilling holes in my cav plate for nothing. I understand all boats are different but if I can get a general concensus.

This also raised another question, the cav plate on my johnson is 'V' shaped unlike many other brands which are more squarish. Has anybody fitted one to a Johnson or Evinrude with a 'V' shaped cav plate? I am just thinking of post permatrim strength problems.

Any help appreciated

MattyB

Permatrims are great, they are much better then the rubber hydrofoils.

CRazy JOhns Cougar was riding a little bumpy when he first got it and the permatrim fixed it up no sweat.

My Mates have had simalar problems and the permatrim fixed it no worries