Boat License And Tinny Paint Query

Davy

hey peeps

just wondering if the little quizes on the waterways site are similiar or exactly the same questions as the license test? because ive pretty much mastered the quizes now, so would i be ready for the actual test? (ive read the book etc as well btw lol)

oh and i was also wondering what places in sydney supply marine paint? or tinnies etc? gona give the tinny a paint mick :1prop:

thanks in advance

Guest IFishSick.

Well if you've mastered all the quizes you should be ready for the test.

I just read over the booklet 5 or 6 times and took it no problems, all the practice questions are extremely similar to those on the test just asked in a different way really.

If you know about the safety side of things you should pass.

hey peeps

just wondering if the little quizes on the waterways site are similiar or exactly the same questions as the license test? because ive pretty much mastered the quizes now, so would i be ready for the actual test? (ive read the book etc as well btw lol)

oh and i was also wondering what places in sydney supply marine paint? or tinnies etc? gona give the tinny a paint mick :1prop:

thanks in advance

G'day davy.

The questions are the same but when you sit for your licence, they have four different sets of questions

to choose from, so they aren't always the same set of Q's.

If you have mastered the online quiz, then you shouldn't have any problems.

The test you sit for has a mandatory set of questions, followed by another lot.

You must get ALL the manatory ones correct and I think you are allowed 3 wrong answers in the other part from memory.

Can't help with the paint question, but I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Cheers,

Pete.

i think you can get paint at bias boating in parramatta, maybe give them a call, and with the licence you will pass it no worries if you have mastered the quiz but you will have to watch the safety dvd to get the licence it is a new requirement. I comes with a little stat dec that you must fill out saying that you have seen it, the dvd is 10 bucks, i think you can watch it online too

Cheers Mick

I found knowing distances and flags/signs/bouy's for PWC good to know inside out if your adding this onto your license. The boat one really isn't that hard and pretty much common sense especially if you know your quizes.

BJ

Ha ha would love to see this DVD from some of the posts it seems the stat dec is useless lol

Edited by BJBoating

Davy

I would be talking to any paint supplier that sells automotive paint rather than "boat" shops. Anything with the name "boat" attached to it attracts a higher premium and possibly "luxury" taxes. Although I never got around to it I looked into it a few years ago. All you need to do is telll the paint supplier what you are doing and they will find a suitable paint for you. You will need to etch prime first. I would reccomend painting the inside with " colour tech" or "colour flec" that they use to paint inside the trays of utes. It will be an extremely fiddly job though, thats why I never did it.

good luck

Davo

comes with a little stat dec that you must fill out saying that you have seen it, the dvd is 10 bucks, i think you can watch it online too

Cheers Mick

yea i bought the dvd on monday, watched it, then just been doing these online quizes..

Pete - yup i think thats the same setout on the quizes, part A, which u cant get ANY wrong or u fail, and part B where u can get a couple wrong and still pass. so i might just go for the test sometime this week, i just hope only a couple of days study will do it :wacko:

Davo - i'll give the automotive paint thing a go, by asking them about it..etch prime? sounds expensive :1prop: the tinny is already painted it just has bits where the paint is peeling off etc, so i was just goin to lightly sand off the crackled bits of paint then 'touch it up' wit paint basically..wud this work?

Cheers for the advice guys

Edited by Davy

You only need etch prime for the bits that are back to bare metal, you could just paint over the parts where it is peeling but you might notice it afterwards.

After you have rubbed it back a bit hit those parts with a spray putty/primer.Available in a can and not expensive at all.This will give the area a slight build up and then just sand it lightly until you cant notice any marks where the paint has peeled and its nice and smooth.Hit it with your paint and you should be sweet.

I recenty rebuilt my 4.2m tinny, had it sandblasted back to bare aluminium and then a mates dad sprayed it with some Mastick, its a marine paint that hardens like powdercoat though much stronger.

On the License thing, if you are killing the online test you will nail the actual license test.I did it last week and most of the questions i got were word for word same as the online quiz.

Guest johblow

After you have rubbed it back a bit hit those parts with a spray putty/primer.Available in a can and not expensive at all.This will give the area a slight build up and then just sand it lightly until you cant notice any marks where the paint has peeled and its nice and smooth.Hit it with your paint and you should be sweet.

Gday, im doing up my tinnie, and some of that spray would be ideal for parts of it that i dont really want to strip bare - can you tell me where to get it please? Have looked in the Bias and Whitworths catalogues but canae find it...

I got some great advice from a previous post about similar stuff and have etchant, primer and top coat and am almost ready to roll - just got to get some wire brush and steel wool happening in some trouble spots, then im into it. Saw some aluminium cleaner in the Bias cat, and need to remove oxide - any suggestions?

Cant wait to get the bugger back in the water. :thumbup::thumbup:

My local paint shop, Australia's Paint Discounters at Regents Park (they have other branches) has cans of Marine Paint in sizes ranging from little touch up cans to 4 litre cans. They are very competetive on other paints so I would not see why they wouldn't be competetive on these as well.

Gday, im doing up my tinnie, and some of that spray would be ideal for parts of it that i dont really want to strip bare - can you tell me where to get it please? Have looked in the Bias and Whitworths catalogues but canae find it...

I got some great advice from a previous post about similar stuff and have etchant, primer and top coat and am almost ready to roll - just got to get some wire brush and steel wool happening in some trouble spots, then im into it. Saw some aluminium cleaner in the Bias cat, and need to remove oxide - any suggestions?

Cant wait to get the bugger back in the water. :thumbup::thumbup:

Gday Joh, good luck with the build mate.

You can pick up the spray putty/primer from most auto spares stores, Supercheap will have it for sure.Cant remember what it cost exactly but it will be around $10-15.

You might need a few coats to get the desired level of build up, but you should have more than enough.

hey peeps

thanks in advance

The questions in the quiza are EXACTLY the same word for word, i know i couldnt beleive it either.....I got my license about a year ago, remembered all the questions from the quiz and got 100% in the test.....

Guest johblow

Hey Pete, thanks for that! Matt T - wow :1yikes: looks FANTASTIC!

Mine wont come up that well, as im not doing the outside of the hull. Im focusing on the inside.

Great thread this one!

What I want to know is,what the bloody hell IS marine paint ????What is the difference that has you paying premium prices for the stuff?

I don't know. It says Marine Paint on the outside. I will be at the paint shop in the next week (my long weekend will be spent painting the laundry) and I will ask the guys the difference and the price!

hey peeps

thanks in advance

In regards to painting a tinny,have a look at my website if you like, its posted under Quinny Restoration

Cheers twoducks

thanks for the advice raiders..

got my license last week and yea it was as easy as pie :1prop:

i went to the bias boating place in parra, and got some primer and finish as well as advice for the tinny.

its spot primer is drying as we speak :yahoo:

seeing as the current name will be covered, wud it be bad luck to change the original name? even if i just painted over it and left it un-named?

cheers c u out on the water soon yipeee :1fishing1:

Davy

Edited by Davy