Berley

DaveD

Whats the best way to use this stuff? Ive never used it before and bought 3KG of the stuff for $10, heard it works pretty well and saw another bloke get it so I thought why not, 3KG for $10 instead of 1KG for $5.

Just wondering if someone can help me out whats the best way to use it, how much and so on, especially for shore fishing considering thats what I do.

I assume you are talking about the pellets? I would soak them until they dissolve and mix it into a mush, and throw in a spoonful every minute or so, and cast an unweighted bait into your berley trail. You'll probably see a whole lot of little guys swimming near the surface, the bigger ones could be a little deeper, if your bait isn't making it through the pickers, put a little weight on or use a tougher bait. You could also try pick up some yakkas or poddies and use them live.

I assume you are talking about the pellets? I would soak them until they dissolve and mix it into a mush, and throw in a spoonful every minute or so, and cast an unweighted bait into your berley trail. You'll probably see a whole lot of little guys swimming near the surface, the bigger ones could be a little deeper, if your bait isn't making it through the pickers, put a little weight on or use a tougher bait. You could also try pick up some yakkas or poddies and use them live.

Yea I'm talking about the pellets. Your saying let them dissolve say in a bucket with water then start throwing that water back in slowly?

1. place pellets in a bucket

2. add old bait, scraps etc

3. add 20ml tuna oil

4. add water to about 25-50mm above to cover

5. mix with hands

6. wash hands :biggrin2:

7. allow burley to asorb water - 10-15 minutes

8. with hands roll balls about the size of a grapfruit - drop over beside boat - repeat 3 times

9. wash hands

10. every 5-10 minutes dispose 1 burley ball

yea throw it as a rough slurry type thing..

grapefruit balls in my opinion BIT to big :wacko:

trial and error my friend.. practice a FEW methods and see what suits ur style of fishing

each to there own.. im sure ull have it down pat in NO time..

mate another thng to add to the pellets is a can or 2 of stinky fishy cat food..

works wonders :1prop:

steve

Why not get a burly bucket? All you have to do is put it in with some pillies and some old bread if you have some and it will feed out the holes in a steady, unbroken trail.

just wanted to try how it goes using the stuff simply first before I go trying to invest in more things, its only for shore fishing too..

thanks for all teh help too guys

I have a berley bucket which i put pilchards, pellets and a splash of tuna oil in, mush it up, put two heavy ass sinkers in it then drop it to the bottom out the back of the boat off a reel with 30lb line, then i fish the bottom, never fails to bring me fish!

Cheers,

Mark

I put everything through the blender (when :wife: isnt looking) prawn heads and shells that have been left over, old bits of mullet, fish heads (after chopping them up) and anything else fishy I can lay my hands on. Mix it with a bit of bread and rice and then freeze it in small handfull size rissolles.

When I take it out in the boat I just pull out one rissolle and hoist it outas far as I can throw it, the rice makes it sink and then it slowly breaks up.

After awhile I shove another one in a pot and let it over the side.

I dont know if this is right but the theory in my head is that the first one is out where I am fishing to initially attract and then later the pot just keeps a trail going.

I'm on the lookout for a cheapy food processor, but for some reason the mrs thinks one for the home is more important....

pfft, yeah, whatever.....

:1prop:

LOL Doesn't the Mrs think nearly everyone is more important than fishing?

Whats the best way to use this stuff? Ive never used it before and bought 3KG of the stuff for $10, heard it works pretty well and saw another bloke get it so I thought why not, 3KG for $10 instead of 1KG for $5.

Just wondering if someone can help me out whats the best way to use it, how much and so on, especially for shore fishing considering thats what I do.

FELLAS, FELLAS, FELLAS ,

Forget about the Blenders lads , just feed it to a weak gutted sailor , and bung him up the front of the Boat in a downwind position.

Mick

Why not get a burly bucket? All you have to do is put it in with some pillies and some old bread if you have some and it will feed out the holes in a steady, unbroken trail.

yeah i definatley agree. You said youdont want to invest in a berley bucket, heres a simple solution! Those 3kg of pellets for $10 can be bought from+_+_) and they come in a good sized bucket. Empty out the contents into a bag or something and drill heaps of hole through the bottom and sides of the original bucket, im talking heaps, and dont make them too small either... then purchase one of those paint mixers from the hardware that are on a handle with the grate type thing on the end so you can mash up watever you put in there. It works extremely well and you get a top class berley bucket super cheap. You want to keep your berley more as a fine mist in the water then chunky bits, so you attract the fish and get them hungry and dont fill them up onj anything but your baits.

yeah i definatley agree. You said youdont want to invest in a berley bucket, heres a simple solution! Those 3kg of pellets for $10 can be bought from+_+_) and they come in a good sized bucket. Empty out the contents into a bag or something and drill heaps of hole through the bottom and sides of the original bucket, im talking heaps, and dont make them too small either... then purchase one of those paint mixers from the hardware that are on a handle with the grate type thing on the end so you can mash up watever you put in there. It works extremely well and you get a top class berley bucket super cheap. You want to keep your berley more as a fine mist in the water then chunky bits, so you attract the fish and get them hungry and dont fill them up onj anything but your baits.

Thanks for that :):)

I might just seriously try some food cans, anyone tried something like Turkey Spam containers? Or even know the size of Spam containers to see if thats suitable? Bit smaller than buckets but should work i spose.

Guest danielinbyron

mate a little ladel or big plastic spoon goes a long way..don't know about all this hand rolling idea .. unless u want everything u touch to be at one with the burley..or like washing ya hands all day?and it means you can toss it to where you want it a little more ..

Also be careful of cat food etc. crap burley brings crap fish , dog sharks etc.. In fact for bream no fish products or oil .. nothing to indicate fish are dying is my idea of burley..weed prawns a little anaseed or barley , rice bread crab shells etc ..

To burley in this way is great for encouraging fish to feed and making an environement where bait may gather , so follow it , maybe catch your live bait and yse it to keep the bait around for the fish to find , or if your chasing bream etc. throw it in such a way as you can fish in to its trail...this may mean leaving the spot you cast from to burley further up the current or bank .And apllying a bit more effort and thought to your location.. little bit at a time consistantly over time is the crack. soaking it until it starts to desintegrate is important as you don't want to fill the target fish and it swells when wet..

nuff from me ..g luck dave