Tough Day At Forster!

arpie

Hi guys

Went out in a Tikki hire boat with a couple of guys this morning (brothers) who were keen to get into some fish. One from Sydney, one from New Guinea. Lyndie thought I may be able to put them onto some fish, so we gave it a go.

The n/easter has been blowing steadily & getting stronger all day (my tummy is still rolling, I reckon!) so it was a bit uncomfortable at times. We tried all the spots I got fish from with my brother the other day with no joy - fished the leases & the drop offs (didn't notice any mullet in the leases this time.) Stopped at one of the islands & hopped out - Tony got a nice keeper whiting & we all got throwbacks. I had a hit on my squidgy fish, but it didn't connect properly! Darn it! One of our lures got caught in the snag, and a young chap, Mike, from Gloucester said he would go out & retrieve it, which he did - very nice of him! I had gone out to upper thigh depth but didn't want to get saturated, so that was really appreciated! He also brought back a stack of the weed that had caught it, along with a few other hooks & sinkers! That made up for the other ones we lost in the lease! Must go snorkelling in there one day.

Tried either side of the main channel, with no real success, so ducked over to Tuncurry side - end of Point Rd. This is where I put my kayak in & usually get into some great flatties - but not today, unfortunately!

We had probably missed the better part of the high tide & it was ripping out by the time we were heading back in at 2pm - the choppy waves crashing over the front of the boat. Tried the lease again on the way back, with worms & sps, but no joy.

I was disappointed, not being able to get them into some decent fish, but, I guess, that is fishing! That is what keeps us going back!

There have been sightings of bigger hammerheads today - up to a couple of metres. Seems the police

(?water?) were on the water getting swimmers out of the water on the big sand island under the bridge.

A bit Spooky reading the reports of the jewie being taken by the shark up the harbour & the sightings in Narrabeen lakes! I remember the stories of dogs being taken in the 60's up Roseville Bridge way.

The front page of our local paper today (Advocate) shows a largish shark just off the breakers on the northern (unpatrolled) end of Nine Mile Beach (Tuncurry) with 2 boogie boarders sitting in the water, about 10m away, unaware! Another had been sighted by a microlite over One Mile Beach Forster - supposedly a Great White about 2-3m! I ain't swimming there no more!

Take care out there!!

Cheerio

Roberta

Edited by Roberta

There have been sightings of bigger hammerheads today - up to a couple of metres. Seems the police

(?water?) were on the water getting swimmers out of the water on the big sand island under the bridge.

Roberta

Bad luck on the fish.

:1yikes: Saw some hammerheads up there at Christmas near the sand island, they were about 4 foot long, watched them circle around and patroling the area between the sand island and the Ronald McDonald cottages, had a great vantage point on the bridge. There were kids/adults swimming within 50metres and teenage kids jumping off the bridge.

Just got back from a week long holiday at Forster aswell.

You are not alone, I found the fishing very tough indeed. Only managed about 3 keeper sand flathead caught about 6kms east of the bar entrance in about 45mts of water.

I saw some locals come back to the ramp at the same time as me with a 1.2m jewie and a couple of really good snapper, 50cm plus. I asked them where they got them, he replied " In the ocean!" What a F**K wit!!!!! I was seeing red :mad3: . Some fisherman can be real jerks, he was obviously not a fishraider member.

Anyhow your not alone. It was not one of my best fishing trips away.

Nathan