$60,000 Swimming Around Botany Bay

Flightmanager

G'day All ,

Whilst out fishing the Bay just before New Years , #1 Son pulled in a small Jewfish , which had a yellow DPI tag attached. On the tag was a phone number , which I rang , and gave the details of the catch . A week or so later , a fella from the DPI rang me , and asked a few questions about where the fish was caught , how big , etc .

Now , to the good bit...

DPI tagged 3000 Mulloway , 1500 Bream and 1500 Silver Trevally , and released them from Silver Beach near Kurnell. At $10 for each tagged fish caught , there is $59,990 swimming around Botany Bay!!!

Which leads me to ask the question , what the hell am I doing typing this , I should be out fishing! :074:

Ross

G'day All ,

Whilst out fishing the Bay just before New Years , #1 Son pulled in a small Jewfish , which had a yellow DPI tag attached. On the tag was a phone number , which I rang , and gave the details of the catch . A week or so later , a fella from the DPI rang me , and asked a few questions about where the fish was caught , how big , etc .

Now , to the good bit...

DPI tagged 3000 Mulloway , 1500 Bream and 1500 Silver Trevally , and released them from Silver Beach near Kurnell. At $10 for each tagged fish caught , there is $59,990 swimming around Botany Bay!!!

Which leads me to ask the question , what the hell am I doing typing this , I should be out fishing! :074:

Ross

whoa this is all new to me. any idea how big they are and are you sure there's this many around?

Here is the info on the NSW Fisheries Scheme for the Mulloway Flightmanager's #1 son caught.

It is still on at the moment, so get on out there guys and catch the cash.

Nice going Brett..It'll pay for some more of those great lures you used to great effect last Sunday.

Cheers,

Pete.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pd...04-Newscast.pdf

Newscast logoGeneral information 1300 550 474

Agent enquiries or changing contact details: 02 9527 8589, Fax 02 9527 8409

www.dpi.nsw.gov.au

Catch one with a tag and be rewarded

Fishers along the coast can win a reward, learn something interesting and help increase the survival rates of caught-and-released fish, if they’re lucky enough to land a tagged yellowfin bream, trevally or mulloway. The program is part of a NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and Recreational Fishing Trusts initiative to learn more about where hooked-and-released fish end up, and how they fare compared to other fish.

Approximately 3000 mulloway, 500 silver trevally and 2000 yellowfin bream are to be used in the research project. Many of the fish were caught by around 70 anglers in 35 boats who took part in the organised fishing events in Botany Bay over this summer. These fish, along with those already collected by researchers, were measured and weighed, then tagged and released.

These fish could end up anywhere along the east coast, so it will be a great help to our knowledge base if they are caught and the information is passed on to NSW DPI. If you catch one of the tagged fish, we need to know the date, location of capture, your name, address and telephone number and the tag details. Any recreational or commercial fishers who report their catches of tagged fish will be rewarded with a $10 gift voucher for each tagged fish, and will also be given details on where and when their fish was first released and how much it subsequently grew. The fish are easy to identify. They each have a yellow plastic tag with the words 'NSW DPI Coffs Hrb', a fish code number, and a telephone number - 02 6648 3910. This research is part of a three-year project, funded by the Recreational Fishing Trust and NSW DPI, aimed at developing handling techniques and best practices to ensure survival rates of fish which are caught and then released.

Those lucky enough to land a tagged fish should freeze the special catch with tag and then contact Dr Paul Butcher as soon as possible on 02 6648 3910 or 0438 950 838 or paul.butcher@dpi.nsw.gov.au or any NSW DPI Fisheries office.

Edited by MallacootaPete

G'day All ,

Now , to the good bit...

Ross

:Funny-Post: