Billfish Cairns

searabbit

g,day raiders

while in cairns on the annual family holiday i managed to get out for a fish in between white water

rafting, snorkeling & scuba diving. went aboard Billfish with skipper rick & decky ronnie who were just fantastic to fish with & a laugh a minute. the crew consisted of me, my 16 year old son BJ and 4 pommie tourists.

after an hour 1/2 to the inner reef fishing grounds the baits of swimming gars was fed out by ronnie and it was pommie no.1 doug who hooked up on the downrigger, a spanish mackerel between 40 & 50lb

was soon beeing eaten by a pack of hungry sharks, then pommie no.2 duncan hooked one of the sharks

and 20min later had the 20kg bronze whaler ? (i think) in the boat. then it was my turn on the downrigger

and soon enough my first spanish mackerel was landed 6.5kg.

my son bj was next and we all new it was a good fish when the ratchet started screaming off.

10 minutes later a 16kg 35lb spanish mackerel was landed, beating his previous biggest fish a 3kg salmon

off box head.

well the last two pommies struggled to land a fish with numerous pulled hooks including a lost Sailfish.

but they did get a fish each, a small spaniard and a barracuda.