Back To The Old Stomping Ground

Woke up this morning and I was very excited as it was a beautiful sunny day with not a hint of wind. Rang a few of my mates to see if there keen for a fish but they were all working (bad luck hey!). After ringing my mates i decided to fly solo taking the boat to Hen and Chicken Bay just on high tide. Its the first time i have been back to HC bay with the boat and it didn't disappoint.

Tying on a berkley gulp minnow i proceeded to through casts towards the wall. After a couple i snag a decent size bream putting up a good account for itself. Took a pic, threw it back, had another cast and i was on again this time a nice flattie that surprisingly also put up a fight. Probably going 45-50cm. A few casts later and another bream, what a day.

After watching my softplastic tails get smashed by the little toads (bastards!) i tie on a SX-40 copy and casts away. Not getting a bite i head back to the ramp casting a bridge pylons on the way. I pick up a few smaller bream then decide to call it a day as the temp was rising and the wind picking up.

Just a question for the hard body lure brigade out there. Whats the best method for using hard bodies for bream? I have heard to sort of fish them like soft plastics, by lifting the rod, wait for the lure to suspend and repeat. I was getting hits with the soft plastics but not a touch with the hard bodies.

All in all a great morning

Good luck to all in the King social tomorrow :thumbup:

p.s Rohit the repaired tip performed great!

Randall

post-2194-1169270288_thumb.jpg

post-2194-1169270312_thumb.jpg

post-2194-1169270329_thumb.jpg

Randal,

There has been a lot written about fishing hard body lures for bream. It is not all that different to SP's, cast them close to good structure, boat hulls, submerged rocks, pontoon, oyster racks or what ever structure is in the area you are fishing. Work them slowly, very slowly. You will find on almost every occasion the bream will hit the lures when it is stopped. The technique is to crack the handle of your reel a couple of times then pause, then crank a couple more turns and pause and keep doing this. Most of the strikes come in the first meter of retreive. The most common mistake made by people new to fishing hard bodies is to much speed and not enough pauses.

Bream are great fun on hard bodies, they generally hit them a lot harder than plastics and you get to see most of the strikes.

Best of Luck and stay at it until you work it out.

Burnsy

Randal,

There has been a lot written about fishing hard body lures for bream. It is not all that different to SP's, cast them close to good structure, boat hulls, submerged rocks, pontoon, oyster racks or what ever structure is in the area you are fishing. Work them slowly, very slowly. You will find on almost every occasion the bream will hit the lures when it is stopped. The technique is to crack the handle of your reel a couple of times then pause, then crank a couple more turns and pause and keep doing this. Most of the strikes come in the first meter of retreive. The most common mistake made by people new to fishing hard bodies is to much speed and not enough pauses.

Bream are great fun on hard bodies, they generally hit them a lot harder than plastics and you get to see most of the strikes.

Best of Luck and stay at it until you work it out. oh and by the way nice catch there!!

Burnsy

gday randal,

as burnsy said its a little different with hardbodies as the action is already in built ( created by the bib thus you dont have to really impart as much action as you would with an sp). with a lure like an sx40 it is a floating lure that rises when you stop winding the reel this is what the bream love!! so as previously stated fish slow a couple of cranks then pauses and dont be afraid to let it sit there a bit as some timid fish will play around a bit before smashing your lure. Its a tricky bussiness but very rewarding.,

hope this helps.

cheers pk.

Edited by pk-fishn