Kingies And Squid

Guest dicko1

Hey just wonderering whether it is best to use the squid you catch whole or send it out in strips? And also, if drifting it back into markers or the navy wharf at CG is it better to chuck it in unweighted or under a float? And if under a float, how deep should the bait be down? Thanks for any help!!

First off be careful at that Naval Wharf, You arent allowed within 100 metres of that wharf and i find it hard to beleive that you will be able to drift your bait that far.

Depending on the size of the squid will depend on wether you whole bait him or strip him, a large squid will traditionally be stripped.

As to how deep that will depend on the depth of the water, but you can run it 1 metre under or 5 metres under, both will work

Edited by netic

First off be careful at that Naval Wharf, You arent allowed within 100 metres of that wharf and i find it hard to beleive that you will be able to drift your bait that far.

thanks very much netic! I dont think I will be able to drift it that far either! I didnt realise the restrictions having not been there as of yet!! Thanks for he help though!

Hey Mate

Thats where myself an greg have been catching all of our kingys at the moment, an have been for the last two weeks.

The majority are rats but all good fun, an you will get the odd 70 cm plus kingy in amongst them if your lucky! :thumbup: As for bait, all we use is squid! An interesting thing that we have noticed is that they are taking small strip baits,,, or have been for us. We have had whole 15-30cm squid down an not a single run, plenty of bumps!

BUTTTT on the flip side of strip baits, we have also had ONE big bait down, an for over 6 trips,, only once has been smashed by a good size kingy, would have gone 80cm easy if Greg didnt lose it beside the boat. :mad3: . Ohhh an it was a fresh bait whole single everytime, not 1 squid an 6 trips lol :1prop:

Dan

Hey Mate

Thats where myself an greg have been catching all of our kingys at the moment, an have been for the last two weeks.

The majority are rats but all good fun, an you will get the odd 70 cm plus kingy in amongst them if your lucky! :thumbup: As for bait, all we use is squid! An interesting thing that we have noticed is that they are taking small strip baits,,, or have been for us. We have had whole 15-30cm squid down an not a single run, plenty of bumps!

BUTTTT on the flip side of strip baits, we have also had ONE big bait down, an for over 6 trips,, only once has been smashed by a good size kingy, would have gone 80cm easy if Greg didnt lose it beside the boat. :mad3: . Ohhh an it was a fresh bait whole single everytime, not 1 squid an 6 trips lol :1prop:

Dan

Thanks for the info dan, very much appreciated!! I have only just recently got a boat and am just getting into the pelagics but am yet 2 nail a kingy, the time will come tho!!

Probably a pretty amatuer question but do the kings bite throughout the day or should i concentrate my efforts on early morning/dusk?? Also i dont mean for you to tell me your kingy spots and secrets or anything but around CG area would you suggest i consentrate my efforts closer to the swimming pool (out of casting range for the LB guys ofcourse!!) or drifting towards the naval base. I always see heaps of boats around that huge white barrel thing... is that an alright spot? And again i dont mean for you to tell me your tricks or anything but what is the best was to fish, just lower weighted baits over the side or drift them back unweighted or under a float say 5-15ft down??

Thanks again for the help you have given me above, i will definately put it to good use next time i am out!!

Dicko

Ok I fish outa 4.1M tinny, an have fished this spot in a 11ft tinny you should be rite depending upon your boat. :1fishing1:

Heading nth outa Clifton Garden hugging the coast, the drum same as the one in CG about 100M's off the naval wharf, an 50ms offshore...... This spot has been producing alot of rats for us of late but key factor is to be near this drum within the first 1-2hrs of light. Have a plastic in hand as well as baits down because as the sun comes up btwn 5.3-6.30am they will occasionally bubble for a min, an will sometimes hit a plastic.

Other than that we lower our baits down, my prefered depth is deep 1M off bottom an other bait just outa eye sight by 1-2M. Whichever gets hit first I set both my riggs at that depth. Just use fresh squid strips 5-10cm long an you should be on for a few :biggrin2::thumbup::biggrin2:

Also if you have a sounder an the conditions are rite,,,, but they are coming through infrequently try drifting in from the yellow pencil marker approx 200ms due nth of the drum. You can sometimes sound them this way

Dan

Edited by Dan and Greg

Hey Dicko 1,

The warning sign on the navy wharf says to stay 100mtrs away,

however there are some yellow triangular bouys in the water

that are only about 40mtrs out from the navy wharf,these say, naval

waters no boating.We have fished right next to these and drifted

baits and thrown shads at the wharf from here, and the navy

guys are all right with it,as long as u stay outside these bouys.

There are some big Kings under there as i have landed a few and

seen them follow our baits to the boat on several occasions.

Good luck.

penguin

Edited by penguin