Kingfish... On A Baitjig Handline!

pottsy77

Went out for a fish today in the harbour. Tried for squid for a couple of hours but got nothing. Are the squid a little scarce at the moment or is it just my crap technique?!

Went and anchored next to the wedding cake in the hope of getting some yakkas but couldn't even raise any of them! After getting frustrated i decided to try off the red marker pole at Glass and bottle.

After being in the water for about 10 seconds my bait jig gets hit. I pulled up 2 sweep. Having once read a report on here about someone who used sweep as bait i promptly cut one of them up and sent the jig back down baited with tiny bits of "sweep" flesh. After about 30 seconds my handline spool takes off. Quickly grabbing it i realised that i had a pretty serious fish on the end.

After about 5 minutes of retrieving line and paying it out very fast, and a nervous moment when the line got tangled around the outboard! i couldn;t believe me eyes when i looked down to see a pretty healthy Kingy in the water below. It took a few more minutes to subdue the fish sufficiently to net it but i couldn't believe my luck! After unhooking it it went straight on the measure... 67cm, on an 8lb handline!! and then straight in the Esky!

Once i had calmed down i rebaited and dropped the jig over the side again. Would you believe it - within about 2 mins the exact same thing happened. This time i wasn;t so lucky and after about 30 secs of me frantically letting line out, whatever it was busted me off.

After this i went back to the Eastern Wedding cake in the hope of getting some yakkas. First drop i get one and it goes straight back down with a hook through its back. Thinking i should get a few more livies in the tank i throw the jig back over the side and yes you guessed it, i got smashed again (i'm guessing by another king!)

Eventually my time was up with no further action and whilst i was really annoyed to have lost a couple of good fish i still had the satisfaction of landing a legal kingy on a handline!

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience - i.e. getting smoked while trying to catch yakkas?

Cheers

JP

yeh i have caught kingies on a bait jig a few times but on a light rod not a hand line

& they were under size not legal, also caught a 35cm snapper once & twice i had a long fight with

2kg salmon while catching livies at the valiant wreck off lion island, great fun. Good work landing a keeper

kingie on a handline. Next time i catch a sweep the fillets are coming off for a king.

Guest Big-Banana

I hooked one at West Head the other week, or it was a Salmon. Bit hard to tell but not being really experienced with a handline it lasted all but 5 seconds.

yeh those sabiki jigs are one of the best weapons to target anything for some reason those big predators also likes jigs that looks like little prawns or sumfin. weird but if i was a fish i wouldnt eat them its like me eating little ants for lunch, not enough! >_<

Yeah it won't be the last fish caught on sweep. i use it all the time. Maybe it was my post that you read. I started using it when a school of samson fish were swimming around my outboard and the only thing I could think of to use that was fresh was a skinned fillet of sweep. ( I sort of tried to make it look like a squid strip). I have found that almost everything will take sweep at some point in time.

Davo

On the Kingy social both me and the deckie got smashed twice each on our yakka rigs (bait), yet the rigs set for Kingies didn't get touched. We tried a bait jig with little prawns and it didn't get touched either.

A 67cm Kingy on a handline is a great effort.

Cheers

Greg

Perhaps a new challenge for you oz! get hold of a 200lb hand line and play tug'o'war with a hood!

Mate to be honest i saw it on Dans vid and it looked like a bit of a headache....line everywhere etc....

Although it did look real challenging.

I think i will stick to rod and reel.