Blackfish Fillets - Crumbed - From Freezer To Table 10 Mins

arpie

Hi guys

Thought you might like to see how you can have a previously frozen fish meal on the table in 10 mins (a bit longer for the mashed potatoes or chips tho!) Just like the ones bought in the supermarket, only nicer!

The important thing is how you freeze the fillets for easy cooking later on! The 'skin side' of them has to be dead flat, so they make good contact in the fry pan. They are automatically defrosting as they cook, so really take no longer to cook than fresh fish!

I rarely cook fish the same day that I catch it. I find that it has not 'relaxed' enough & can curl up or even fall apart when cooking (especially if you smoke them.) If smoking your blackfish, just fillet them & leave the skin on. Then I leave it for the next day to smoke, or freeze it (same day) as follows.

Prepare the fillets:

1. Fillet, skin & debone your blackfish fillets

2. Place the fillets in a plastic bag with fine breadcrumbs

3. Twist the top of the bag & shake well to coat the fillets

4. Place the fillets 'skin side' down on a flat tray that has some paper towell on it

5. Put the tray in freezer. When frozen, put fillets in a plastic bag, in meal sized portions, with the date on it

Cooking the fillets:

1. Heat your pan with a small amount of oil of your choice (add a bit of butter if you like, as Daniel has suggested.) I use Olive Oil. (Electric frypan automatically adjusts & maintains the best heat, I reckon.)

2. When ready, remove fillets from the freezer & place 'skin side' down in the pan for about 3 mins (should be ready to turn over when the outside edges go white.)

3. Turn over & cook for about 2 - 3 mins or as needed. Surface should be a nice & crunchy brown.

4. Drain fillets on paper towells & serve with mashed potato or chips, with salad! Yum! Last night's dinner.

Even the kids that reckon they don't like fish will eat this one - tried it out on my niece & her buddy last week! Worked a treat - they even asked for more!

frozen on tray post-2231-1169617331_thumb.jpg

half cooked post-2231-1169617386_thumb.jpg

ready to serve post-2231-1169617449_thumb.jpg

Edited by Roberta

Guest danielinbyron

nice ...simple is so often best...

tip from the big boss :wife: ...

to get the butter taste without the low temperature burning hassle just use butter + a lttle olive oil..

• 2 months later...

nice ...simple is so often best...

tip from the big boss :wife: ...

to get the butter taste without the low temperature burning hassle just use butter + a lttle olive oil..

Blackfish without doubt, one of the best feeds going. Father in law is one of the best blackfisherman ive seen at North haven, thats all he fishes for has done all his life.

Never seen a fisho fillet like him, maximum meat no bones ever.

And to cook simple in flour then and on to the pan, but for goodness sake dont overcook!

What is really nice too is Mccormacks tempura mix on fillets,and deep fry, once again dont overcook.

cheers

twoducks

Quinny resto http://home.exetel.com.au/altina/

• 2 weeks later...