Trolling Drag Settings

micheal richens

Heard many different opinions on how tight the drag should be while trolling a skirted or bibbless lure.

Have heard of it being set at Strike drag, and just enough so line doesn't peel off while trolling.

I have it just so the line doesn't peel off because have lost a fair few Stripies and small Dollies from pulled hooks. But is it the bigger the fish gets the stronger their mouths so you can set the drag higher?

Because I just don't think that the setting I have it at will hook up (as I've never had a biggen strike before, don't know if it will or not).

Guest Big-Banana

I used to lose a lot fish when putting the drag just tight enough so line doesn't come off. But I get a much better strike and hook up rate while keeping the drag on strike and not touching it at all.

Hi guys, scuse the ignorance but what is "Strike Drag" & how do you measure it?

As you may have guessed I have never trolled b4 & have no idea what you guys are on about, but it sounds like something I need to know if I wanna troll sometime (Which I do...when my boat floats again!)

BH

Mik (Yeah another one)

Hi guys, scuse the ignorance but what is "Strike Drag" & how do you measure it?

As you may have guessed I have never trolled b4 & have no idea what you guys are on about, but it sounds like something I need to know if I wanna troll sometime (Which I do...when my boat floats again!)

BH

Mik (Yeah another one)

mik game fishing reels that are lever drag have a lever which you tighten or loosen the drag with you have freespool,strike and full and you usually set the strike drag 1 3rd of the breaking strain of the line with a set of scales

say 24kg you set strike drag at 8kg

mik

Hey Mik

They guys are talking about overhead reels that has a lever Drag system on them

fully down is free spool

half way up it has a button on some and the lever will go up to this this position

is called strike drag and is ually set at around 1/3to1/2 the braking strain of the line

fully up full drag or another name is sunset this is getting into danger in this area either not enough

drag or to much it sometimes is a fine line .

Thanks guys, I need to learn soooo much! Thank god I found this site or I might still be tryin' to hook up my bathtub with a ceiling fan to get me past the heads! But now I know thats just silly, I need TWO fans obviously!

Seriously, I know nothin about overheads. I'm an old eggbeater from way back :biggrin2: