Rockworm....question For You Mate!

Guest Jocool

Gregg, as you can see from a previous post of mine, I have draw the Fishraiders attention to the upcoming rezoning of the Byron Bay Marine Park. As a Rec fisho I am against it as it seems to be putting in place a lot of Sanctuary Zones which are basically no fish zones.

These zones may not impact on us here in Sydney directly, but for those of us that would want to go up there in the future for a holiday, it puts the kybosh on fishing! :1yikes: It would mean that the local area may possibly lose some tourist dollars in doing so.

You are a local up there. You know what is going on. Are these zones welcomed by the rec fishing community up there? Do you personally think it is a good thing or bad? And whatever your answer, why?

I know its asking a bit of you to tell us what you feel, but I think it would important for us to know what the effects would be for locals rather than just looking at our own selfish reasons for opposing it. It would give us a better insight into the area as seen through the eyes of a local!

I appreciate any information you may be able to give us mate. :thumbup:

:1prop: Hi boys-------not sure wether I've got enough ink to reply in full to this -so I'll keep it short----

The majority of rec fishos up here are for managed conservation of fish environments-in other words-they accept marine parks as a principle-------

There are a couple of issues that need to be looked at TOGETHER in a proper plan to ensure survival of fish stocks for the future vs the "take this or leave it attitude "that appears to be the case at the moment with relavent government

1-Pro fisherman ---they need to make a living-----but they are destroying huge areas of the fishing environment-both in the richmond river and on beaches-buy back their licenses at MARKET PRICE not the 20c the government is offering now--surely there is enough income from fishing licenses to do this--I have spoken to some of the pros who work the Lennox area------they will take a fair offer and get a job doing other things vs busting their balls for $30000 a year.

By doing this huge increases in fish stocks would come back in a couple of years-

2-Limit where pro fishermen can fish-----basically they have open slather at any school of fish in the region---some schools need to be able to "get away"-

3-Marine Zones-these zones are being driven by the Greens---simple as that-the go up here is that marine zones are planned for all down the coast--based on the "so called'success of the Byron Park--I was at a rally-speakers from--Labour-Liberal--Country party--a State Senator--the Mayor--were there giving a speech on the park subject---not a GREEN IN SIGHT--------all speakers critised the Green army on this marine park .Their view was that the Greens will not move to take into account localised issues

4-MarinePark studies------their is a total lack of evidence to prove or disprove their viability from a scientific point of view--in most cases its other things that effect the environment that certainly not even been considered in the Byron Bay park------things like chemical run off from farming---simply put chemicals kill fish--these "other things"need to be sorted out first as a priority--

5-Consultation with Locals------in the case up here with the Byron Park-------there has not been the consultation with what I call the"people who are effected"-----that is--not in any order--local fishos-both beach or boaties---local businesses--such as retailers and accommodation places--and others who just live in the region---

The bottom line with the park as is is proposed---it will satisfy about 2% of people in the region---about 20% dont care either way------the other 78% are most unhappy about the whole"rail roading "affair------

I would like to leave with this comment----I wonder who would win this one???----------Imagine if they tried to put in "Surf Board no go zone marine parks"---in this area-surf boards do more damage to rock habitat fish spots that line fishermen by a long shot------Gregg

My idea behind this post, like I stated in the beggining, was just to get an insight to the way the locals view this. And I think Gregg has made it abundantly clear! :1prop:

I for one will be making my submission, and will be dead against it in its present format. I would gladly support a marine park if it was shown to benefit the fishery. And as Gregg has stated, there are far more pressing issues that could help the fishery!

Thanks Gregg for your prompt and concise reply!

Its now up to you guys to get involved and do what you think is the right thing!

Cheers.

So Joe......What is the go???

How do we do it from here.....get involved???

For dummys like me you might have to spell it out?

17609[/snapback]

Its not TOO involved mate. Just a few simple little steps. Firstly, for those that didnt see my original post which prompted the question to Gregg, then look HERE to get a bit of background.

Then, if you go to the Marine Parks website HERE, it will show you a link for the Marine Park Draft Zoning Plan. It is important that you read this before contemplating making a submission as it will allow you to make an informed decision.

Next step is to go HERE, to get the submisson form whis is in PDF format. Then its just a matter of filling it out and sending it to the Marine Park Authority.

Simple as that! :thumbup:

And submissions must be in by the 29th of November, so don't leave it too long guys.

:1yikes: Well boys-I thought that you would like to hear a bit of the latest crap--------------a part of Lennox-south corner of the beach-thats in the proposed park-which means no fishing for us-------------some local greenies----have now decided that THEY WOULD LIKE TO PUT IN A ROCKPOOL SWIMMING BATHS AREA--------AND THEY ARE ON THE BANDWAGON TO GET APPROVAL BEFORE THE AREAS OF THE PARK ARE FINALLY LOCKED IN-----------and guess what-IM HAVING MY $$$$$$$$$$ ON THEM GETTING IT----- :bash::bash: ------in my next life I'm going to be a politician!!!!!!!!!----------

only one good thing will come out of this----------------------which these jerks know nothing about------------I rekon that this rockpool area will be a haven for all sorts of fish in big seas------------like mullet-----------lucky I own a torch!!!!!------HA---------- :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Mine's in. If you want to fax it, the number is 66858882.

21035[/snapback]

:1clap::1clap::1clap: -well there people--------the latest info today-------thats going around the local traps up here at 6-00pm tonite-------------THE MARINE PARK as was proposed IS CANNED!!!!!!!!!!-------hope all the chat is true-cause the bottom line was pretty simple-this was TOTALLY a political motivated unthought through stunt put on by ---------------------THE GREENS-------these people sometimes do come up with good plans to preserve our environment-but this time they were simply-BIG HEADED AND BLOODY MINDED about this Park------if they thought through and confided with local people and reviewed their original plan-then it would have gone through with everyones blessing---------including the local fishos------------but unfortunately today these people are TOTALLY unreasonable in the way they want things--and they do not put proposals foward based on FACTS and fairness that links in with the local people that live here every day--------so hopefully they will learn by their Pig Headed mistakes on this issue------------so POWER TO THE PEOPLE rules for the day-Hooray!!!!!!!!-------Gregg

PS-10,000's of formal objections and reviews recieved by todays dead line caused the win----- so its good to know that any individuals point of view still does count

:1clap:  :1clap:  :1clap: -well there people--------the latest info today-------thats going around the local traps up here at 6-00pm tonite-------------THE MARINE PARK as was proposed IS CANNED!!!!!!!!!!-------

21490[/snapback]

I got the same info from Bob Smith from The Fishing Party this morning, who has been up there for all the rallies! :thumbup: I was holding of posting what you did Greg, just to confirm it all.

A lot of people perhaps don't realise , but this is a HUGE win for Rec Fishing. It means that the government CAN NOT set a precedent and use that to railroad other Marine Parks up and down the coast!

For all those that did get involved, give yourselves a pat on the back! And for the sceptics :1clap: ....YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY VOICING YOUR OPINION!

Apparently during Sunday's rally, the submitted objections sat in a pile TWO METRES high! :1yikes: Thats a hell of a lot of objecting!

:thumbup:

:1clap:  :1clap:  :1clap: -well there people--------the latest info today-------thats going around the local traps up here at 6-00pm tonite-------------THE MARINE PARK as was proposed IS CANNED!!!!!!!!!!-------

21490[/snapback]

I got the same info from Bob Smith from The Fishing Party this morning, who has been up there for all the rallies! :thumbup: I was holding of posting what you did Greg, just to confirm it all.

A lot of people perhaps don't realise , but this is a HUGE win for Rec Fishing. It means that the government CAN NOT set a precedent and use that to railroad other Marine Parks up and down the coast!

For all those that did get involved, give yourselves a pat on the back! And for the sceptics :1clap: ....YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE BY VOICING YOUR OPINION!

Apparently during Sunday's rally, the submitted objections sat in a pile TWO METRES high! :1yikes: Thats a hell of a lot of objecting!

21491[/snapback]

: :1clap::1clap: -just a BIG thanks to you Joe for your help on this issue on this site-------there are 4 locals up here who also should win GOLD medals for their time and effort in what time should prove to be a big win for the majority on the review of boundaries in this park--it will be a while before anything is confirmed formally by the relavent political bodies on the review- -in the meantime-I'm off :1fishing1::1fishing1: