More Forster Blackies

arpie

Hi guys

I was out yesterday getting photos of the area to post for the Blackfish Social that has now been confirmed to be held in Forster on the first weekend in June - Sat 2nd & Sunday 3rd. Keep an eye on the Social Forum & register - it should be a fun weekend!

At the park under the bridge on Forster side, I couldn't believe how many big silver blackies were already in the system! They are the ones fresh from the sea - you see hundreds of them during the cooler months, starting about March thru to October!

Went out today (with my rod, instead of the camera) & tried the L shaped bridge in the Forster Park - hooked 2 smaller ones that got put back & I moved on when all the young kids started diving & cavorting off the jetty (it is a holiday weekend afterall!)

Headed to Tuncurry & had 'my spot' all to myself. Tide was in the last 2hr of the runout ... perfect! First cast got a nice fat 30cm+ blackie. Then a bit of a break & 2 x 27cm throwbacks. Another 30cm keeper & I dropped 2 nice ones that were pulling really hard! Must have been bigger than my keepers!

Got another keeper, then moved to the other side of the wall & got into some little ones that went straight back! The wind has been soooo hot today (westerly, I think) and now it is blowing a southerly, like a gale! Might get some more rain!

I had company for quite a while whilst I was fishing - about 3 different lots of people came over & chatted about fishing - I caught something each time, so they were rapt! So was I!

PM me if you have any specific questions you would like to ask about the Social - or post them on the Pinned Blackfish Social Topic

http://www.fishraider.com.au/Invision/inde...=17350&hl=#

All confirmed raiders will be given a detailed guide to Blackfishing Forster, and on the first day, I will also reveal to them my 2 top 'special' blackie spots that I rarely leave without fish!! Be in to win!

Cheerio

Roberta

Roberta..you've done it again...Good haul of blackies.

I noticed the blackies the old fellas were hauling out of Narra lake yesterday were silvers too.

Are they any better eating than the long time lake dwellers?

You sure have them nailed down and the blackie social looks like being a cracker couple of days.

Good of you to give away your secret spots too...Do we all have to wear blindfolds on the way in? :074:

Can't wait to see the photos of the spots you are looking at for FR headquarters too.

Don't forget FR members, to show your interest in this social as we need enough people to justify the effort and expense of staging it. Also remember Rohit's prize rod too...We need a minimum of 25 starters for that to be included.

Chers,

Pete.

Roberta..you've done it again...Good haul of blackies. I noticed the blackies the old fellas were hauling out of Narra lake yesterday were silvers too. Are they any better eating than the long time lake dwellers?

Cheers, Pete.

Hi Pete

It is a good sign of things to come! Maybe they are coming on early this year??

Some people reckon the silvers are a better flavour as they have been eating really fresh stuff out at sea, then come into the estuary systems & turn to cunje & other weeds once in the lake. Some I have caught had even been eating the ribbon grass in big chunks! And of course, they are the masters of deception! They will change colour to suit their background. Hence, silver coming in from the sea, then they quickly turn olive green/black once in the lake.

Those who catch blackies will recognise their special 'smell' - a cross between cunje & weed! The ones I have been catching since Nov have been full of yucky gooey gut stuff - the ones I caught before were nice & normal 'clean' gut! But I reckon they all taste nice!! Once they are skinned, crumbed & cooked, you can't tell one type from the other.

When fishing, you can often spot the 'blacker' ones and target them, but the silver ones give you a real surprise & thrill when you hook them, cos you normally just can't see them!

Cheerio

Roberta

Better get some practise in Pete .....

Edited by Roberta