Steering Cable Seized....

Jethro

Hi all

It has been a couple of weeks since I have had a chance to get out for a fish. So Sunday morning I hooked the boat up for a relaxing day on the water...

I get to the ramp and run through the usual check list to find the steering seized :ranting2: . I tried a bit of gentle persuasion but was unable to budge it.

Does any one have any tips or tricks for freeing up the cable or am I up for a new one..

Thanks in advance

I would say that it all depends on how bad the condition of tha cable is.

If the cable was nice and free last time that you used it then I would say that it would not be seized because of fraying and that the most likely cause would be rust.

I would recommend trying to srap wd40 up the inner part of the cable where it is attatched at the motor and leaving it for a while to see if this will loosen it.

I would remove the linkage from the motor and tap the inner part of the cable (linkage part) with a small hammer and see if this would work it loose. Being very careful not to damage the linkage or the cable.

If this works then I would recommend cleaning the inner cable and using a very fine grease as a lubricant.

If this does not work then it will be a new cable I am afraid.

Hope that this works.

Edited by rzep

I had a simalr problem on my previous boat, I try to go without changing and did the usual tricks...WD40 etc.....then she locked up on me when driving 2 trips later and thank go i was close to anyone.

With something as important as Steering i would recommend changing it, it is quite simple to do, i had never done it before and i just bought a new cable and did it quite easily.

Always remember that Safety is paramount when on the water and without steering your screwed, also im sure you dont wanna ruin another fishing trip with steering problems.

Oz

jethro

Sieze is one of two things usually....the outer push rod stuck in the tilt tube or the inner push rod stuck in the outer. Try this method first..if it does not work it could be the inner rod...and thats a new cable!

The bodge it way...

Undo the arm that bolts to the end of the steering cable. Check the motor turns freely..it should unless the sieze is at the pivot.

Slip a spanner on the flat at the end of the steering cable..what you need to do is rock the spanner to and fro whilst GENTLY tapping the end of the steering push rod. Spray INOX (not WD40 or CRC etc) in both ends of the tilt tube before hand as best as you can..let it soak for a while.

If this gets you free sit for ten minutes steering back and forth...plenty of Inox and rags..clean as much of the crap that comes out.

Don't force the steering wheel at any point..you can strip the gears.

If you get good movement back try and lubricate with gear oil...don't use grease! The steering oil will improve things over time as it softens the grease.

The proper way....

Remove the cable from the motor and helm...clean and hone the tilt tube...strip the cable...clean and lubricate...re fit. Easy but time consuming...may be easier just to put a new $150 cable in.

Best of luck...let us know how you go.

Chris

Edited by chrisg

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I had a bit of a play with it yesterday. I loosened the large bolts at each end of the steering ram and the rod moves freely from side to sdie and rotates in the pivot. It seems to be sticking further up the cable.

I cant seem to move the rod out of the pivot as the splash well is in the way. I will get a couple of photos at lunch time and show you what I mean.

Thanks for the quick reply guys.

I had a bit of a play with it yesterday. I loosened the large bolts at each end of the steering ram and the rod moves freely from side to sdie and rotates in the pivot. It seems to be sticking further up the cable.

I cant seem to move the rod out of the pivot as the splash well is in the way. I will get a couple of photos at lunch time and show you what I mean.

Jethro

Sounds like the inner push rod is stuck in the outer....try the spanner or multigrips on the end near the bolt hole and twist and turn as I suggested...in a way you have nothing to lose here. It sounds like engine off if you have to go further.

Cheers

Chris

I had the same problem with my other boat and use to take off the linkage and just give it a bang with hammer and wood but to be honest once the problem starts it will never end and I agree with Netic go get a new cable!!!and problem solved they are not that expensive and you don't have to worry about it sticking again for a few years!! Remember fishing is stress releaving not the opposite

Cheers

Thanks guys... I will have a play with it this arvo and see what I can do.....

The only problem with replacing the cable is it looks like I will have to drop the motor off the boat to get the cable out.... Im not sure how comfortable I feel about doing it myself...

I rang a couple of boat places locally and I will be looking at the cable plus a couple of hours labour... So I will be looking down the barrel of $400...

Jethro if you want to get the cable out once you have taken the linkage off just push the cable in from the outboard end and not push out. Undo from steering end as well and pull it out from steering end using common sense ofcoarse.

Cheers

Unless I am missing something the motor will have to come off to replace the cable....

post-44-1170126427_thumb.jpg

post-44-1170126446_thumb.jpg

There is not enough room to get the cable out of the motor.

There is a hole on the right where the cable comes through.... but it doesnt line up

Mate looking at that picture the last one I assume you want to pull the cable out and yes there is no room but you are going the wrong way about it, because you want to pull it through instead of pushing it back through the hole in the transom so the end where the spanner is sitting must be pushed out not pulled from left to right, looking at the picture there is no need to take the motor off at all.

Cheers

Edited by Dorado 2

Dorado - I'm not sure what you mean.

I can get the rod top move freely in the tilt tube, about 15cm or so. I get into trouble when it wont fit back through the transom....

If I understand you cortrectly you are saying it needs to go the other way??? The cable is completely seized and I cant get the end (where the spanner is) to move any more to the left

I had a bit more of a play with it at lunch time and have managed to get the rod bac as far as it will go into the cable...

I have tried pulling the cable out again but it still runs into the gunwhale.

Maybe a photo will explain it better..

post-44-1170210193_thumb.jpg

I cant see any other way other than dropping the motor off

Geez Jethro looking at that last picture I can see your trouble mate perhaps undo the the out board bolts and slide the out board to the side to give you enough room for the ram to come out. Still what a pain of a set up that is!!!

Cheers

It looks like we will be attacking it Friday arvo :biggrin2:

I just picked up the new cable and there is no grease or oil on it. I asked the guy that sold it to me if I should put some sorth of lubrication on it and he said no... I pointed out to him that the cable that is on the boat had some grease on the end that goes into the back of the steering assembly... Then he suggested I use grease :wacko: ...yeah heps of help

Anyway....

I have heard a few people mention oiling the cable and someone else told me to fill the cable with transmission fluid....

What are your suggestions for greasing or oiling a new cable??

Jethro

I use gear oil....tranny fluid is often suggested as some feel the rubber outer sheath of the cable will stand up to tranny fluid better than oil. Inox is good but seems not to last as long..probably due to its thinner viscosity.....either way I'm not using grease again!

Now for the good bit....go to the link below...I had almost weekly problems with my steering until I went gear oil and fitted one of these!

http://www.livebaitlarry.com/knut.asp

Cheers

Chris