Deep Cycle Charging Experts

macman

G'day guys,

I've just purchased an electric and 105 A/hour battery. I am looking for the best ways to keep this battery in premium condition. Wondering if anyone out there is aware of the correct charging voltages, best types of chargers and so on. I currently use a cheap arlec battery for my prawning lights and general use. This is a 4 amp trickle charger without any smarts. I was going to buy the kit to make this into a regulated smart charger ( through jaycar). Anyone clued up on this stuff ??. I am an electronics/copmputer techo by trade, so I am able to do all the wiring etc, I'm just not to clued up on what the deep cycle batteries require.

Matt

Matt

Go back to your battery retailer and ask for a specification sheet from the battery manufacturer.

Many batteries, require different min/max charging voltages and thats before you start to think about min/max amp hour rates.

Cheers

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

G'day guys,

Thanks for your responses. I'd actually looked at the deep cycle battery FAQ but it was a bloody dry old read and I'm a tech. I was looking more for the experiences of people that run deep cycles all of the time.

Anyway, in the end I built up a regulator circuit for my existing charger and this can stay permanently connected to the battery, it cuts in and out as required, reduicing sulphation in the battery and keeping the charge full.

Thanks again

Matt McHugh

I just bought myself a 6amp PROTECTA branded charger yesterday from Repco for my deep cycle. Still have not used it but the guy at Repco reckons it is popular amongst the boaters. He also recommended you dont go too strong because you can do damage to your battery ? Not sure if this is the case but I will let you know how I go..

Nick :smoke: