Trolling

E_Cura

Hi Raiders

Seems like you have all been having some great cathes.

I wanted to ask if anyone would be helpful enough to give me a few pointers for Trolling.

What size Lures for fish from Tailor to Kingies

How fast should the boat be going?

How far from the boat shopuld the lures be?

Sorry to ask so many questions but as a POM I haven't had much experience in trolling.

Thanks in advance for any repsonses

Cheers

Maggotbasher!

Hi Raiders

Seems like you have all been having some great cathes.

I wanted to ask if anyone would be helpful enough to give me a few pointers for Trolling.

What size Lures for fish from Tailor to Kingies

How fast should the boat be going?

How far from the boat shopuld the lures be?

Sorry to ask so many questions but as a POM I haven't had much experience in trolling.

Thanks in advance for any repsonses

Cheers

Maggotbasher!

for kings i know the rapala x raps work in the 15 and 20 foot depths trolled at 6 to 8 knots ive got a really good yellowtail and also slimie mackeral pattern which i think are the best. for tailor not positive but i think it might be a bit slower with smaller metal type lures.

I like to troll a variety of lures at a time just so you are able to find the depth that the fish are at and then you can change all your lures to that depth. Matching the size of the bait fish is important as well, fish will usually go for something that is a bit smaller then what they are targetting but rarely something bigger. I only have experience in the harbour trolling around the headlands so Im not sure what you are doing but hopefully this may help. I use rapala cd-7's and cd-9's. A good colour is the blood nut which is white with a red head and other pilchard imitations. I also troll some rapala husky jerks in the 10cm model, they are a deeper smimming lure. I then also have a lure that swims just under the surface, the smaller x-raps are good for this and I also have another lure that I bought overseas which is quite a producer. I have heard that barra maulers also are tops in the harbour. I have caught salmon, tailor, bonito like this as well as pike and believe it or not a big leather jacket when they were in plague proportions late last year. I dont think trolling lures is the best way to catch kingies in the harbour, but thats just my opinion, i dont find they respond well at all.

Trolling speed should be between 4-6 knots and lures out at least 50 metres in my opinion. Lures 7-10cm for tailor probably up to about 14cm for kings in the harbour, but i have never tried...

I have just bought a lure that i rekon may be good on kings, it is a 14cm squid imitation that has a hard body and then soft plastic tentacles and eyes. It dives to about 3 metres. Has anyone used these in the harbour before? was it any good??

Edited by dicko1