Diesel Outboard

Sub1

I am looking to build a houseboat and was wondering if anyone has had any expierence with the Yanmar 37HP DIESEL Outboard? If these are any good, it would be great to use them instead of 4 strokes and just have the 1 fuel tank (Diesel for the genny). Are they like a diesel car, with low down 'GRUNT', and what is the cost like? Any feedback appreciated.

Sub

Mate I know nothin' about outboard motors period. However I do know a bit on diesel. Yanmar engines are very basic & hence cheap. Whilst we have used Yanmars (As well as many many other brands) to power items like gensets, welders & high pressure mud pumps I always have back up where ever possible. I'm sure plenty of people out there are using Yanmars with no hassles at all but you must bear in mind they are cheap for a reason. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in this world. I would never buy a Yanmar for any of the above mentioned tasks (Only ever used them as hire units) I would rather pay the extra few dollars & get brands I know & trust.

Having said all that, diesel engines of almost any type will always have more "Grunt" as you put it that other petrol or gas engines. They have loads of low rev torque. You put a diesel driven vehicle in low gear & generally you only have to let the clutch out slowly to get motion without too many revs (In most 4X4 vehicles you can drive up a slight hill in low range without even touching the accelerator) try doing that with a petrol engine!

I am guessing here that diesel outboards don't appear in too many outboard manufacturers product catalogue so the Yanmar may be your only choice here. If so & you only intend to putt around slowly (Diesels don't like high revs) and your overall use is limited to the occasional weekend then the Yanmar may be your answer. If you want something reliable thats going to have some top speed to it (House boat are not know for their planning abilities I guess but you know what I mean) & you intend to use it alot then I'd recommend you stick with known outboards that have a proven track record.

Just my 65 cents worth anyway.

Sorry if I've burst your bubble or confussed you.

Cheers

Boofhead (Mik)

Oh, PS - dunno what the outboard engines are like but we spent hours trying to bleed a small stationary Yanmar after some nutter ran it out of fuel. Diesel engines HATE air in the fuel system. You generally have to "bleed" any air from the fuel lines, pump & filters if ran out of fuel (IE run till it stops & suffocates) Some are very easy to bleed, others are a total nightmare...Yanmar stationary = nightmare.

Edited by Boofhead

I am looking to build a houseboat and was wondering if anyone has had any expierence with the Yanmar 37HP DIESEL Outboard? If these are any good, it would be great to use them instead of 4 strokes and just have the 1 fuel tank (Diesel for the genny). Are they like a diesel car, with low down 'GRUNT', and what is the cost like? Any feedback appreciated.

I used to do a bit of Diving whilst working in PNG SUB1 and one of the boats we used to dive from was an 18 foot sharkcat with 2 x 37hp yanmars. Very economical to run but the boat had a terminal speed of about 14knots as these are torquey not made for top end. Im not sure on pricing but all in all I thought them to be very awkward, smelly and I guess just not my cup of tea. They would probably be suited to more to your application where torque is more vital than speed.

GT

I used to do a bit of Diving whilst working in PNG SUB1 and one of the boats we used to dive from was an 18 foot sharkcat with 2 x 37hp yanmars. Very economical to run but the boat had a terminal speed of about 14knots as these are torquey not made for top end. Im not sure on pricing but all in all I thought them to be very awkward, smelly and I guess just not my cup of tea. They would probably be suited to more to your application where torque is more vital than speed.

GT

Certainly not looking for 'Watershing Ability' with these! As you and Mik suggest, getting along at a 'reasonable' pace, and in this day and age- economically as well, these could be the way to go. Not too worried about the smell as they will be well out the back of the boat (and I'll be beer in hand at the pointy end! Not that there is really a point to a houseboat bow, but you get what I mean). I might send an email to Yanmars and ask them direct, but i am sure that they will say they will do the job- why would they say otherwise? I am just a bit worried that 2 X 37HP might be a bit 'underpowered' which is why i was wondering if they would appear to have more 'push' than a petrol on of the same rating. I have a diesel Pajero and it appears to have as much go as the V6 Petrol of the same model I had before.

I'll keep looking!

PS Southern Comfort- Way to go- Everyone keeps bagging me about drinking that- just proves i am not the only strange one!

Thanks,

The Navy use Yanmar Diesel Outboards on their General Purpose boats and inflatables.

I can not comment on performance I have not personally used one. But I was involved in a training exercise on Sydney Harbour and the Navy was involved. I was in a Clark Challenger 4.29 mts with a 40 hp Johnson (NSW SES flood rescue boat) and the Navy had a similar Hull a Clark Abalone 4.5 mt with a Diesel 28hp.

The overall size of the motor was about 1-1/2 times the size of the Johno it just seemed to go all day on the smell of an oily rag only used about 30lts against the 60 lts I used. Not the best motor for speed but would be reliable and economical

Pete

Hi Pete,

I have a 5m tinney with a 50hp jonno and I am thinking of putting a yanmar D27 on so I am really interested in your post ... sorry if its a little off topic.

When you say the navy dingy was not a speed machine how slow are we talking in comparison to the boat you were in? I know its prob hard to judge accurately, but if you had to guess?

My reason for making the change is purely range/ economy. I dont mind going a bit slower but I havent been able to get any data of any kind on the speeds I could expect.

cheers

Bob

Sorry for the delay in answering my computer was terminal with a virus. I would estimate that it pushed it along at about 20-25kph the boat I was in travels at about 34kph that is off a gps.

Pete

Sorry for the delay in answering my computer was terminal with a virus. I would estimate that it pushed it along at about 20-25kph the boat I was in travels at about 34kph that is off a gps.

Pete

Sub

Mate I know nothin' about outboard motors period. However I do know a bit on diesel. Yanmar engines are very basic & hence cheap. Whilst we have used Yanmars (As well as many many other brands) to power items like gensets, welders & high pressure mud pumps I always have back up where ever possible. I'm sure plenty of people out there are using Yanmars with no hassles at all but you must bear in mind they are cheap for a reason. Generally speaking, you get what you pay for in this world. I would never buy a Yanmar for any of the above mentioned tasks (Only ever used them as hire units) I would rather pay the extra few dollars & get brands I know & trust.

Having said all that, diesel engines of almost any type will always have more "Grunt" as you put it that other petrol or gas engines. They have loads of low rev torque. You put a diesel driven vehicle in low gear & generally you only have to let the clutch out slowly to get motion without too many revs (In most 4X4 vehicles you can drive up a slight hill in low range without even touching the accelerator) try doing that with a petrol engine!

I am guessing here that diesel outboards don't appear in too many outboard manufacturers product catalogue so the Yanmar may be your only choice here. If so & you only intend to putt around slowly (Diesels don't like high revs) and your overall use is limited to the occasional weekend then the Yanmar may be your answer. If you want something reliable thats going to have some top speed to it (House boat are not know for their planning abilities I guess but you know what I mean) & you intend to use it alot then I'd recommend you stick with known outboards that have a proven track record.

Just my 65 cents worth anyway.

Sorry if I've burst your bubble or confussed you.

Cheers

Boofhead (Mik)

Oh, PS - dunno what the outboard engines are like but we spent hours trying to bleed a small stationary Yanmar after some nutter ran it out of fuel. Diesel engines HATE air in the fuel system. You generally have to "bleed" any air from the fuel lines, pump & filters if ran out of fuel (IE run till it stops & suffocates) Some are very easy to bleed, others are a total nightmare...Yanmar stationary = nightmare.

Don't agree with all that Boof.

I'm a Yachtie. and a hell of a lot of yachts run Yanmar inboards. Classed as one of the best and most reliable on market. Most prefer them to Volvo... Last two boats had yanmar in. 1 was 1984 vintage. Still going strong. Other was earlier. '74/75ish. Was rebuilt about 8 yrs ago. Still in boat.

They're one of the most respected marine engines on the market mate. Including up to 150 ft boats that I've seeen them pushing.

Ps I was a diesel fitter for yrs. (Marine.) Oh. They've been self bleeding since early '90's

Edited by macka17

Don't agree with all that Boof.

I'm a Yachtie. and a hell of a lot of yachts run Yanmar inboards. Classed as one of the best and most reliable on market. Most prefer them to Volvo... Last two boats had yanmar in. 1 was 1984 vintage. Still going strong. Other was earlier. '74/75ish. Was rebuilt about 8 yrs ago. Still in boat.

They're one of the most respected marine engines on the market mate. Including up to 150 ft boats that I've seeen them pushing.

Ps I was a diesel fitter for yrs. (Marine.) Oh. They've been self bleeding since early '90's

Macka, I agree with you. Just look around the cray boats in WA. and SE of SA and you will see a lot of the big 50 and 60 footers powered by Yanmar diesels, and they are one of the most economical motors built so I was told. Go down to Botany Bay and have a look at a lot of the freighters etc. coming in there, many have massive Yanmars powering them. No affiliation with Yanmar- just heard only good reports

Reagards George

Thats cool guys. As I stated, I know nothing about outboards (Or inboards / marine engines for that metter) I was just relaying my experience with that brand as a stationary motor as we have used HEAPS of different brands in stationary applications & Yanmar would not be my personal choice. But hey, if I ever need a marine engine perhaps I could be persuaded to rethink :wacko:

Thats cool guys. As I stated, I know nothing about outboards (Or inboards / marine engines for that metter) I was just relaying my experience with that brand as a stationary motor as we have used HEAPS of different brands in stationary applications & Yanmar would not be my personal choice. But hey, if I ever need a marine engine perhaps I could be persuaded to rethink :wacko:

No dramas Boof, you would get a shock how their big banger gear performs

Regards Nick