Lake Illawarra " Late Report "

Lewis

G,day Raiders.

Went down to the lakes entrance today as it was a bit bumpy outside and the weather report was'nt that great either. So I hit the water at around 9.00am gentlemans hours of course, headed out to the back of the chanel just before you enter the lake propper. I started flicking SP's around, firstly with a 75ml killer tomato squidgy fish (usually good for a strike at least, but not today) then with a 75ml silver fox squidgy fish, third cast got a hit but dropped him shortly after. I had a few more casts in that area with no more takers so I moved back into the chanel on the eastern side of the bridge to one of my favorite spots and it was'nt long before I had my first decent hook-up and landed a nice 43cm lizard, then a couple of just undersized models. I then moved just adjacent to where I was over near the couple of old clinker boats that are moored near the weed beds and picked up two more keepers and a couple more littlies beforecalling it a day at noon. A pretty good quick session with seven fish landed and enough for a feed.

Sorry no pix.

G,day Raiders.

Went down to the lakes entrance today as it was a bit bumpy outside and the weather report was'nt that great either. So I hit the water at around 9.00am gentlemans hours of course, headed out to the back of the chanel just before you enter the lake propper. I started flicking SP's around, firstly with a 75ml killer tomato squidgy fish (usually good for a strike at least, but not today) then with a 75ml silver fox squidgy fish, third cast got a hit but dropped him shortly after. I had a few more casts in that area with no more takers so I moved back into the chanel on the eastern side of the bridge to one of my favorite spots and it was'nt long before I had my first decent hook-up and landed a nice 43cm lizard, then a couple of just undersized models. I then moved just adjacent to where I was over near the couple of old clinker boats that are moored near the weed beds and picked up two more keepers and a couple more littlies beforecalling it a day at noon. A pretty good quick session with seven fish landed and enough for a feed.

Sorry no pix.

7 is more than enough I say. Good job mate. Sounds like a nice day out thats for sure . :1fishing1:

I use to live down there and fish the area around the bridge with sp's all the time. Back then the channel was slightly open (about a meter of water deep x 5 meters wide on a high tide). I use to do really well early at the very start of the run out by anchoring 20 yards short of the green pole and casting 2" Tsunami shads in holographic and working them super slowly. Not sure if there is any water exiting out the channel there at the momement.

Good place down there...

G,day Burnsy.

The Lake at the moment is still closed, but they are making headway with the northern breakwall that they hope will aid in keeping the channel open, I also hope that they dredge the channel when the breakwall is complete, the breakwall will also make for great land based fishing as well.

G,day guy's.

Hi! Ben, it has been a while, and we will have to get a trip out organised soon, maybe get both boats out and head out to the wave rider for some dollie action now the warm water is finally hear.

Mik, I have to agree that there is some nice fish still to be found in the lake, for all its problems at the moment it still holds some pretty decent sized fish. I have personally landed a couple of flatties in the 70cm bracket, many over 45 to 55cm and plenty of nice bream in the feeder creeks with the largest 42cm.

Thunder, the lakes ability to hold prawns has been severely damaged since the total closure of the lake, but in saying that if they do the right job when they finally complete the northern breakwall and open it properly then limit the number of pro's allowed to work the lake it may still have a chance.