Mullet On Hbs!

fluoro

My mate, cleans up on large mullet in our local creek using this small buzzing hard bodied beetle-like lure that swims on the surface. He uses 6 lb line. I've seen it myself, I thought it was the wierdest thing. Has anyone else heard of mullet taking hard-bodies lures?

I'm a traditionalist and have always stuck to getting my hands dirty with doe.

Cheers,

Fluoro

I'm also very interested to get my hands on those leaping "you-can't-get-me" mullets. :ranting2: It'll be so cool to get them on lures. But aren't they dough eaters? Have tried floating doughs for no success. U're probably referring to those cicadas type of surface lures? I was wondering if anyone else had any success on targetting mullies using surface lures. Thanks.

ron

Guest IFishSick.

I have success targetting the small Poddies around the size of your hand on a small hook, with bread, no weight.

I just sight fish, wait till the bait is swallowed then wang em into the live bait bucket.

Make sure that you use very light stuff. I use 6lb clear mono which is the smallest I have. If a weight is used the fish don't go near it.

I'm also very interested to get my hands on those leaping "you-can't-get-me" mullets. :ranting2: It'll be so cool to get them on lures. But aren't they dough eaters? Have tried floating doughs for no success. U're probably referring to those cicadas type of surface lures? I was wondering if anyone else had any success on targetting mullies using surface lures. Thanks.

ron

The big "you-can't-get-me" mullet are all bully mullet, Ron. Bullies are an extremely rare catch on hook and line, as they mostly feed on microscopic (and otherwise tiny) plants and animals. Therefore, it is very difficult to imitate a natural food item. Larger sand mullet aren't hard to catch - they take bread, dough, prawns and worms. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit lures quite readily. It is quite frustrating when you see the bigguns jumping!

Flattieman.

The big "you-can't-get-me" mullet are all bully mullet, Ron. Bullies are an extremely rare catch on hook and line, as they mostly feed on microscopic (and otherwise tiny) plants and animals. Therefore, it is very difficult to imitate a natural food item. Larger sand mullet aren't hard to catch - they take bread, dough, prawns and worms. I wouldn't be surprised if they hit lures quite readily. It is quite frustrating when you see the bigguns jumping!

Flattieman.

oic, thanks so much mr flattieman! your invaluable knowledge of the marine world is astonishing!

Spending a lot of time at Hen and Chicken bay hey Ronald? :biggrin2:

Yeah I know the feeling...them mullet :1badmood:

haha.. are u stalking me mike? :biggrin2:

Cheers

Ronald

• 2 weeks later...

You wouldn't want a bully anyway. they taste terrible. The fantails and sandies (with yellow spots) tast OK but the bullies taste like kero. I am sure someone here will disagree.

Davo