Which Gps/sounder/chart Plotter?

lewisa

Hi Raiders

I don't know a lot :wacko: about the electrical equipment/gadgets available and I'm hoping for some great advice.....

After getting some experience on the water with my aluminium runabout, and after a good deal of research I'm (ie the :wife: has given permission) a bit keen on getting a Trophy 1902WA - plan is to be able to go outside and catch big things.

Trophys only come with Mercury engines. NAVMAN sounders etc can apparently link up with the engine and provide various kinds of data.

The sales guy is obviously pushing NAVMAN. Specifically he has recommended the Trackfish 6500.

I plan on keeping the boat for many years. The cost of the boat (let alone fishing outside) is not small, so I don't mind spending abit on this gear if it's worthwhile.

So my questions are:

Is the engine data worth having?

Is the 6500 overkill - its not cheap?

What's your preferred brand/setup for this kind of fishing?

Is it better to have separate units for GPS/chartplotter and sounder?

Any other advice you have is gratefully received!!

If I go ahead with the purchase, I'll have a 2yo Stacer Sunmaster (4.6m) going!!!!! Much rather give a good price to a Raider then to have to trade it in........

Thanks everyone - heaps..

G'day

I've got a Trackfish 6500 with fuel flow hooked up to a Johnson 140hp 4 stroke and it's my 2nd combo unit, my other was a Lowrance LMS335C

I love the combo units and find them easy to use and take up less space obvisously enough.

The fuel flow is gimmicky but fantastic and very accurate - it helps with setting the 'optimum' speed and as far as accuracy goes, I generally fill up around 1 or 2 litres within what the Navman tells me I've used. I've got a 140litre fuel tank so there's little chance of me running out but it's peace of mind rather than relying on sometimes dodgy fuel gauges.

I fish in 10ft to 200ft of water so I find the navman or even the Lowrance great units although I think I favour the Navman

Evan

G'day

I've got a Trackfish 6500 with fuel flow hooked up to a Johnson 140hp 4 stroke and it's my 2nd combo unit, my other was a Lowrance LMS335C

I love the combo units and find them easy to use and take up less space obvisously enough.

The fuel flow is gimmicky but fantastic and very accurate - it helps with setting the 'optimum' speed and as far as accuracy goes, I generally fill up around 1 or 2 litres within what the Navman tells me I've used. I've got a 140litre fuel tank so there's little chance of me running out but it's peace of mind rather than relying on sometimes dodgy fuel gauges.

I fish in 10ft to 200ft of water so I find the navman or even the Lowrance great units although I think I favour the Navman

Evan

Thanks Evan,

I really appreciate your comment - especially as you have one. :thumbup::thumbup:

I just can't explain how exciting it is to be moving from a small aluminium boat to something capable of going offshore. :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

I'll post a picture in due course so that any Raider who wants to say g'day can do!!!

See you on the water!!