Frigate Mackerel Hit Forster!

arpie

Hi guys

The first frigate mackerel that I have seen have hit the estuary today! I was testing one of the spots for blackies & these electric blue pocket rockets started appearing every 5 mins! The odd single one, a couple of groups of 5, then consistent schools of 15-20! I'd forgotten how beautiful they are in & out of the water!

I didn't have any spinning gear, but just at the right time, a couple from Hawaii arrived for a fish & after they caught a couple of trumpeter, I asked if they had any spinners!! He brought out a spoon which did nothing ....then rigged up a small metal slice! Immediate success!!

Everyone was really chuffed! they give a great fight on light gear - John gave me one & kept one (I told him how to salt it for bait) and we all left happy!

Just the one blackie - also threw back 2 'keepers' but they were too close to 25cm to keep! The neighbour scores again!!! Whenever I get 'smallish' ones (less than 2), I just give it to my neighbour! He thinks it is wonderful!

I am heading up to South West Rocks in 10 days - the frigate mackerel (my buddies called them 'friggin' mackerel - must have a hearing problem!) were on last year - hope they are again this year! Will also have a go for blackies! Surprise, surprise - so if anyone has any info on blackies at SWR, I'd appreciate hearing it!

Cheerio

Roberta

Ahh, awsome!!, great report roberta :thumbup: gotta love the frigates, cant wait till they hit sydney :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo: Rob :1fishing1:

Absolutely!! :1prop::thumbup: They were there again today - caught one - got him salting now! Used a lure I had made from a teaspoon handle - worked a treat. Unfortunately the wind was up so it was tricky tossing a light lure around, but at least I got the one hit & a few chases! I find you really have to get the lure in front of their noses, let it drop a bit & then retrieve in the same direction they are going in, for success!

Cheerio

Roberta :yahoo:

cant say i enjoy them there a pain when here in masses they take everythng and anythng on the

troll...

hehehehe :1prop:

sucks when chasing kings these buggers turn up everywhere...

each to there own :tease:

they make some TOP slated bait tho thats the good thing about them..

do u guys rate them on the table?

steve

Edited by big_steve

Kids have a ball catching them in the creek at Hat Head but I think some may kill more than necessary sometimes considering what they are good for. Keep what you can use and release the rest I reckon is the go.

... Keep what you can use and release the rest I reckon is the go....

Hi Livo

Yep - good advise on any species - last year at SWR the locals were stocking up on them for the rest of the years bait, so I gave most of the ones I caught to them.

Re eating qualities: I kept a couple to smoke ...... didn't like it at all. Haven't tried them pan fried - but no real reason why they wouldn't be ok - they have very red flesh. I guess they would shashimi ok if done straight away. Only ever had it once - wouldn't write home about it!

Cheerio for now

Roberta

Absolutely!! :1prop::thumbup: They were there again today - caught one - got him salting now! Used a lure I had made from a teaspoon handle - worked a treat. Unfortunately the wind was up so it was tricky tossing a light lure around, but at least I got the one hit & a few chases! I find you really have to get the lure in front of their noses, let it drop a bit & then retrieve in the same direction they are going in, for success!

Cheerio

Roberta :yahoo:

What's your method of salting them Roberta?

Mark

Edited by costa

What's your method of salting them Roberta?

Mark

You can either cut them up into bait sized cubes, or leave them as slabs..

To salt them just put them into some sort of container with a lid, and add plenty of salt, enough to cover the flesh. They will develop their own 'brine' as they cure, i usually just add a bit more salt and mix it up if it is getting too sloppy. The flesh will toughen up really nicely over a week or two and the brine and salt crust creates its own little burley trail when they hit the water.

You can either cut them up into bait sized cubes, or leave them as slabs..

To salt them just put them into some sort of container with a lid, and add plenty of salt, enough to cover the flesh. They will develop their own 'brine' as they cure, i usually just add a bit more salt and mix it up if it is getting too sloppy. The flesh will toughen up really nicely over a week or two and the brine and salt crust creates its own little burley trail when they hit the water.

Cheers, i'll have to give that a try.

Mark

2 kg's of farmland salt is all that is needed :1prop:

for a buck a pop it doesnt really matter

CFD

I've used Rock Salt or Sea Salt crystals in a water slurry to brine Pillies and Bonito fillets which then don't freeze when you keep them in the freezer, but all the American sites refer to Kosher salt as do some of their recipes for food. Can somebody with a USA buddy tell us what it is in Australian lingo.

Someone read Robertas initial post in this thread and posted a link to just such a site.

I know what Kosher means in terms of meat and other food but what is Kosher Salt?

...I know what Kosher means in terms of meat and other food but what is Kosher Salt?.....

Hi Livo

Kosher salt has no additives (eg Iodine is added to most salt in Aussie & around the world to prevent thyroid problems in folk) and is coarse grained. Used to drain the last blood/fluid out of Kosher meat! (just googled it!)

This time, I have only added a small amount of salt to my fillets - it is going to be used as bait next week anyway. I still have some bonito I salted down last year! Sitting in it's brine, but it has gone very coarse - I suppose the fish will still like it, but I'll try this lighter edition as a comparison! I have it wrapped in newspaper so the fluid is absorbed by the paper, rather than sitting in it. I slice it as I need it.

I may well vacuum pack it before we head off. no smell!

Cheerio

Roberta