Learning The Bow And Arrow

Red

Hi Raiders, just wish to say a quick thank you to Swordie for teaching me how to cast "bow and arrow" style. Spent a good hour at it in the backyard and can't wait to put my newfound skill into practice some day :1prop:

It was nice to meet Donna too, who happens to be one of the calmest and most patient ladies i have met. You done well Stewy :thumbup:

Regards

Red

Always a pleasure at your joint Red and I am glad the new skill will get you onto a few bream on plastics with me soon,cant wait to take you out for a spin in the poly :yahoo:

Cheers Stewy

The Bow and Arrow cast is used for getting into tight spots or under wharves with accuracy.

How it is done is you place your jig head with plastic attached about 30 cms from your reel.

With your non casting hand grip the rod with the bail arm open and your middle finger securing the line so the jig head doesnt fall to the ground.

Next step is to grip the jig head by the weight making sure the hook is out of harm's way with your thumb and index finger.

Now you point the rod at the desired target making sure your forearm and rod are in a straight line.

Slowly pull back the jig head like a bow, pulling the jighead down and backwards to about the reel postion and it loads the rod like a bow and arrow.

Now you have it loaded, release the jighead by opening your fingers quickly and the jig will shoot forward anywhere up to 20 metres if you are good at it :biggrin2:

It does take some practice and it is better if some one shows you first.

Take note this is a dangerous thing to do with treble hooks and I would not recommend it. If not done correctly the lure can come back and hit you in the head.

Best to practice with a small plastic casting plug with no hooks until mastered.

In the coming months we will be doing workshops and this cast can be demonstrated indoors .

Cheers Swordfisherman

A great cast to know for certain situations!

Be warned though if you dont get it right it is a great way to make graphite tomato stakes!!!

Best practice on a retired glass rod to get you technique down pat!