Saturday 3/2/07 - Seaforth Area

sebastian

Hi guys, my first report, so go easy on me! heh.

Went out yesterday on my mates boat, n ot so much for a fishing trip, but more for just a fun day on the boat with some fishing thrown in. Launched at roseville at about 10.30am, cruised around the harbour for a while, and finally set anchor just inside the spit around northbridge. We had a quick fish there at about midday, alas to catch nothing until.... i cast off, and the wind catches my lure and wieght, and next thing you know ive caught a 20ft sailing boat! yay. so we all jumped in the water and swam over, unhooked me, and continued our simming adventures.

After messing about on the boat a bit more thruout the harbour, we set anchor again just inside the heads, and try again there. Being abour 2pm, its the brightest/hottest part of the day, cast off, and not even 1 bite in the 30 minutes we were there. So we decided to have some lunch and go play some water craft activites up near roseville.

Headed up to roseville, towed eachother around on the floatie thing, and then just behind seaforth there we anchor and i decide there is some fishing to be done. Its about 4.30-5pm by this stage, and the others are lieing around, but not me, the sea-scurvy fisherman, i am going to catch some fish no matter what.

Using some frozen squid as bait, i cast off, and the line sinks, and sinks, and sinks, and sinks, and sinks... and goes forever, then i realise there is a current underneath, and its just getting pulled along, silly me :1prop:

Im sitting there for about 10 minutes, to the amusement of my friends who are making fun of me, and then ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.......... and off we go, the rod bends over and i have my first fish! Pulled it in, and to the amazement of my friends (simple friends) i have caught myself a cute little bream, probably about 20cm. After the honorary photo, send him packing to the deep again.

My friends then decide they want to fish aswell, so they get my other rods and cast off. another 10 minutes pass, and they are getting anxious, only to hear the sweet whizzing sound of success coming from my rod again. I reel it in, an almost identical bream, slightly smaller tho, and he comes to the same fate, except didnt bother with a photo this time.

My somewhat annoyed friends are now jealous of my 2 fish, and our captain Huw says (quote) "Im not going home till i get a fish." We all had a chuckle.

No longer than 5 minutes after my second bream, Dan lets off a yell of excitement, he's hooked up! Holding his rod waiting for the action, he starts reeling it in, and as im instructing him on what to do, what do u hear again.... the louder, longer sound of my rod running line off like no tomorrow! I look over and my rods buckled over, unlike the previous 2 ive got. A double hook up for us! woohooo. Dan gets his in first, a bream similarly sized to my previous, and i get mine in, a 37cm fatty of a bream! Excited we all were, and kept my bream for good measure.

Captain huw... still not caught a fish, lol. Another 5 minutes goes by, and he's got a fish on his line! he's reeling it in, and it appears at the surface, a baby bream, but only 15 cm. Never the less, he's a happy captain, and we all got to go home, and in the 30-45 minutes we fished, caught 5 bream. Couldnt have been happier, and an awesome day all round.

Below is a photo of me with my prize bream.

Seb

mefishoa9.jpg

Note; fish looks smaller in the photo due to me holding it behind me i think, silly me... lol

Well done on your fishing journey ,sounds like you all had a ball :biggrin2: Nice report as well .

The fish you are indeed holding up is a small snapper :thumbup:

Looking forward to your next report.

Cheers Swordfisherman

Thanks for the heads up guys, and i guess we caught 5 snappers that day then...! haha, oh... well then... shows how much the amateur i am then doesnt it... hahaha oops :tease::074:

and yes, thinking it was a bream and of legal size, i kept it... hahahha still alot to learn on my behalf evidently! :074:

BUt as was mentioned, had a ball of a day, no matter what fish it was that was caught... hehe.

And i didnt keep it myself, gave it to captain huw and his dad for their kindness on letting us use their boat etc

But yea, just a quick warning guys n gals, better watch our for those bream, they come outta no where...! :074::thumbup::074:

No worries Sebastian - 37cm is still legal size for a snapper (I think the minimum size is 30cm) so you've done absolutely nothing wrong.

Isn't it funny the way that friends never want to fish until they see a couple getting caught, and then EVERYONE wants to join in!! :1prop:

No worries Sebastian - 37cm is still legal size for a snapper (I think the minimum size is 30cm) so you've done absolutely nothing wrong.

Isn't it funny the way that friends never want to fish until they see a couple getting caught, and then EVERYONE wants to join in!! :1prop:

thats how i got all my friends into fishing. They see me catch one and they said exactly the same thing 'im not going home until i get a fish'. LOL its like a challenge kinda thing at first then it becomes an addiction ^_^