Live Yakka Hooks

domza

I have just run out of live bait hooks for kings, when using live yellowtail and was wondering what types of hooks everyone else is using and can recommend.

Im after the best possible hook to land a King fish. I fish at botany bay usualy around the container wall.

I was previously using mustad suicides 4/0 (i think)

the average yakka's i use are around 20cm long.

I only use Gamakatsu "live bait" in any size between 5/0 to 9/0..... and generally throw them away after a days fishing.... i would also recommend Owner, but haven't had any experience with them.

throw them away after a days fishing :tease:

geez dude it must cost u an arm and a leg

those gammies are rather pricey...

i like the black magic hooks i rate them atm..

steve

I would have to agree with Sammy...I like the gammas but also do use the black magics....

Owners are designed for cubing and dont make the greatest livebait hook as told to me by a couple of sydney pros, I have noticed that they come back and dig into the yakka when pinned in the back.

Guest danielinbyron

I've come think unless its a circle hook, or a wider gape theres not much difference besides wishful thinking between them, have gone back to mustads big guns... never had hook that size snap..except a penn hook so they're banned from my house.. :ranting2:

I can understand the toss it after its been salted theory though particularly if ya not fishing the next day..and i keep the hooks sealed in the pack and take them out one by one tipping them out the bag..or make pre rigs at home and seal them..that fine edge on the tip is the business end.some guys sharpen there hooks even fresh out of the pack..if i was gearing up seriously for marlin but I'd go the owners I reckon.

throw them away after a days fishing :tease:

geez dude it must cost u an arm and a leg

those gammies are rather pricey...

i like the black magic hooks i rate them atm..

steve

Hi Steve,

They retail for about $4.50 for a pack of 6, so about $4 if you get them from Tonys with the discount. The problem is that they are chemically sharpened, which is great because they are sharper than you could ever sharpen a regular hook, but they do not hold their edge once you re sharpen them with a file and rust very quickly after you put them back in your tackle box... the thing is that you will not straighten one of these hooks, the only time you will need to replace them during the day is if you get bricked properly and loose everything..

I am yet to try the black magics but i heave heard nothing but great reviews

Guest IFishSick.

You could always try using circle hooks too. I have trolled a yakka for 25km with a 7/0 Octopus Circle without it spinning. Still yet to have a strike but will let you know if live bait hooks are better than circles.