Do Kingies Like Bream

Penguin

I read in a fishing Mag a little while ago that a king will eat a snapper, so I don't see why they wouldn't eat a bream...

When it comes to bait fish, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Yakkas are so widely used because they are easy to catch and last so long on the hook.

yes, Bung or his mate caught a 26kg King on a live 1kg+Bream either North or South of Sydney a few years back, some Tackle stores around the area have the photo of the king.

Hey guys as an extension to this question i get these wierd looking fish sometimes when i'm jigging for yakka's on the rocks, they have a light brown to purple colour, look kinda like a nanagai with big eyes.

They are about 10-15cm long and about 8cm high and decently fat. Does anybody know what they might be and if they would make good kingie bait?

p.s i think whiting are top baits, i have caught my biggest flatty on one and it was 93cm long!

My mate also caught a 50lb jew and a 30lb jew in one night on whiting fillets in the georges river last year.

I have just never considerred using them for kings as they taste so damn good (probably why they like em)

i caught a samson fish last year it was about 60cm and when i gutted him we found a little pinky snapper about 10 cm long , it was deffinately a pinky as it had the greeny dots on it and was still a sort of pink and i have also heard that these pinkys are good bait for john dory in winter but i have never tried them so i dont know if they work

I only asked this question bcoz I didnt believe

that a King would eat a Bream or Snapper.

But I can tell u that yesterday in Sydney harbour,

we lost 2 legal Bream to hungry Kings, just as

the Bream were about to be netted at the back of

our boat.Both ended up as bust offs and there was

no way these Kings were hooked as the Bream

had the hooks in their mouths.It was an awsome

site to see .But we were not happy to be losing our

dinner.

penguin

they must of being big kings

because ive had small yakkas taken and had big yakkas not taken at the same time and spot

i think alot to do with it depends on the size of the fishes

They were i'd estimate in the high 80cm mark the ones that actualy took

a Bream,there were a lot of smaller ones that just followed hooked fish

to the boat.

I would suppose that the amount of food that a King has in his gut

or lack of, would also play a roll in the size of live bait he may take.

penguin

I have read several articles about LBG guys using 1 kilo snapper as live baits for BIG kings. so I couldn't see why a bream wouldn't work also.

Didn't one of the posts recently about 2 XOS kings caught of the rocks up the coast say that one was landed using a live snapper for bait?

Casper

I would assume if they were hungry enough they would eat anything if it's all that is on offer. In saying that they'd obviously have preferences. I heard that if say you had a Yakka and a Slimy sitting side by side they would be more inclined to take a slimy because thay have less spikes on them and go down better, which is why they prefer squid overall because they are a smooth meal. Bream would be a spikey feed but obviously from the reports they do eat them.

Cheers,

Mark

I read in a fishing Mag a little while ago that a king will eat a snapper, so I don't see why they wouldn't eat a bream...

When it comes to bait fish, I don't think it makes a whole lot of difference. Yakkas are so widely used because they are easy to catch and last so long on the hook.

I read about that article a 25kg or something like that off the stones it ate a 1.5kg snapper.

We were fishing the oil wharf at botany bay on the boat about a year ago and had a kingy harrasing a bream dad bought up to the boat, the bream went 25cm long, dad dropped the bream back down the king hung around we through just about everything prawns, pillies, squid, livies white bait, an array of lures and it was only interested in the bream, we never ended up catching him though.

cheers james

ive heard they are very inquitizive (spelling) fish

Inquizitive i think is the way it's spelt.

Any one heard of the tag teamin process when chasin kings?

If someone your boat catches a king and it has mates following up,

hold the fish at the side of the boat and get the rest of the people on boared to drop a lure/ livie/bait down

Once they hook up bring in the first fish hooked and leave the other persons boatside with the rest of the mates untill another is hooked then bring that fish in get back in water bring next hooked fish in etc etc

cheers james