Thoughtful Fishing

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Guest Plastic Fanatic

G'Day all

Thought it would be a good way to start posting by outlining a brief luring session I had on Sunday.

Started the morning throwing large SP's around for flathead. Managed to coax 9 to the bank, but only one was over 36cm :mad3: While I was flogging the water chasing these little fellas I noticed there was some nice bream and trevally flashing around, so I changed to a popper to see if I could change my luck. My intention was to snag one of these trevally, but again I was foiled and only managed 2 bream, with the biggest one being a tiny 30cm. I did notice that the trevally were very inquisitive about the popper but were not committed enough to take it off the surface.

OK ... Plan C.

Tied on the smallest powerbait (in Bloodworm) and jig head that I had, and cast in the direction I thought they may be headed. Three seconds later all hell broke loose, with the little Sahara reel screaming and the Diawa Heartland doing its very best impersonation of a pretzel! (must pay more attention to drag settings me thinks!). A brief struggle and splash into the net ... success! 37cm of Trevally @ 660gms. Love it when a plan finally comes together! :thumbup::yahoo:

post-3198-1170806443_thumb.jpg

Not a bad way to open your account at all PF - good story and a great photo.

And great to hear that you targeted a species and then changed tactics until you found one that worked - that's what good fishing is all about I reckon.

Welcome to Fishraider!!

Guest Plastic Fanatic

Thanks all!

Yep, good little session penguin. Hope to have same success (but with bigger results) this Saturday.

I agree, Mondo. You can stay in the same spot doing the same thing, or try something different to improve your chances!

I have two retired couples that live either side of me, Crazy John, so the Trevally went one side and the Flathead went the other. Both couples enjoyed their tucker, so it was grins all round :D

Action was a lot more exciting on the popper Sammy, made even better by the fact that I have caught very few fish on surface lures until now!!

Edited by Plastic Fanatic

:1welcomeani: to Fishraider, PF! :thumbup: Sounds like a fun little session. Fishing for bream on the surface is great fun, and so is a trevally's fight! I've been targeting bream, whiting and flatties in hlaf-metre deep water with little Tiemco Stick Minnows - great fun with visual strikes. Hope you nail some more good trevs.

Flattieman.