Dream Flathead Session On Narrabeen Lakes

paulcha11

The best Poddy trap I ever used was one I made in about an hour out of some black gutter gaurd plastic mesh. No reflected sunlight to put them off. Two squares for the ends with a 2 inch diameter hole in the middle and crudely fashioned funnels pointing inwards. Four rectangular shaped pieces with the top one hinged and clipped into place with clothes pegs. The whole thing is stitched together with some decent sort of fishing line like 30 lb or so. A bit of snapper lead in the bottom and bread inside used to catch more than I could use in no time.

Beats the telescopic clear plastic model from the shop every time.

Other successful models are

*the top loader describred in earlier post although the one I used was made from a large clear plastic salad bowl that :wife: lost??? and flyscreen gauze secured with a large elastic band,

*and if you can cut them the old 4 ft fluorescent light tube with one end cut off. Poddy swim in but no reverse. They jam in like sardines. My mother used to have one of those crazy old glass cutters used to make things out of old beer bottles and the like and me & the old boy used it to cut one end off the tubes.

Awesome pics... They're flatties for anyone to be proud of, paul. Once again, WELL DONE!!! :yahoo::thumbup: I only wish Narrabeen Lakes were in the Sutherland Shire. :biggrin2:

Flattieman.

Thanks Flattieman,

You are going to have to get up here and come out for a fish with us at some stage.....Pete should come along and make a day of it......in that case we could use both Poddies and WB! Im staying on the fence between those baits ATM. LOL

Charmo

Thanks Flattieman,

You are going to have to get up here and come out for a fish with us at some stage.....Pete should come along and make a day of it......in that case we could use both Poddies and WB! Im staying on the fence between those baits ATM. LOL

Charmo

You bet I'll be using poddies :biggrin2: . I've been telling Pete that I'd come fishing for quite a while, but time has been scarce for me lately. I am looking forward to doing so, though. Preferably before winter! :074:

Flattieman.

Guys,

I have just taken up catching poddy mullet, and i tell you it isnt as hard as it sounds. I have been using those bait traps you can buy from the tackle shop. They work well.

If you are located anywhere near the upper reaches of the georges river there are plent on poddy mullet around. A sure spot where you will find them is at kelso park near the storm water outlet near east hills.

I guess the key is is to place some bread dough in the trap and also throw some dough next to the trap to attract the fish. Give it about 15-20 minutes and you will see the mullet splashing around near the trap.

The last time i went i must have taken up more than 50, which surprised me. Though the majority were thrown back into the water.

tumra,

I have tried this spot several times.... the fish simply do not want to swim in the trap...

there seem to be alot of fish in this area.

Is your trap floating ? or at the bottom ? how deep ?

Is your trap the plastic type with two holes either end ?

I have used an orange juice container sitting on the bottom in about 300mm of water, with plain bread inside - no result.

I have used the plastic trap with two holes either end with bread inside - no result

Specific info would help and would take alot of guess work out of the equation.

Thanks.

Nice report Charmo and welcome to the site. You guys did very well on the lake, funny how it is all quiet for a while and then it is on for young and old.

You never listen to people who have no idea about fishing. A guy once laughed at me and told me that there were not any big fish at Clifton Gardens, when I chucked out a yakka on a float. Shame I didn't catch a King, would have loved to see the look in his face ....

I hit the lake again today and tried several spots up the back of the lake. Not much to report from there...just some smallish bream throwbacks.I even waded out in front of the plaque on Wakehurst Pkwy about 30 metres but the weed is still a problem up that way.

I then went to Wimbledon avenue for a wade out and scored one nice 51cm flattie...then the plague of tiny tiny tailor descended and were like pihranna...You couldn't even get a bait down without those thievin' buggers jumping all over it.

I gave it away after that.

Cheers,

Pete.