Reel Choice Assistance

wyldchyld01

Hey all,

After having a look at a lot of people purchasing the Daiwa Saltist and myself being in the mood for a new reel, I decided to check what you guys n gals thought on a subject.

I want it to do a bit of trolling work as well as jigging (roughly in 80-100 fathoms). The TLD series from shimano went out the door as I've been told it's really only suitable for trolling. The Tekota 800 (because I'm getting lazy and the line feeder seems to appeal rather than me needing to lay the line) or Daiwa Saltist STT40H with carbon upgraded drag washers, were the two in my price range that seem to suit.

Can, or would, anyone like to suggest if they are worthwhile for what I require, and is there an issue with the line guides that would cause me grief, it's been hinted that for jigging when the fish hits and runs there may be friction that could cause bird nests to form. Thanks I look forward to your responses, oh and if you think there is a better reel (like one that hasn't failed you for similar use) I'm open to suggestions.

Brenton

Hey Brenton

If you are jigging, I am assuming that you will be using braid. The problem with trolling a star drag with braid is that you only have two drag settings, freespool and full. Obviously you can only troll with the drag engaged, so if a fish hits and you are trolling at speed, you are likely to pull the hook. So a lever drag will be much better suited for trolling wiht braid. I have an avet, it's a lever drag, and it has excellent freespool. It's the most versatile overhead at a reasonable price. Check them out.

Cheers

The pick from your list would be the diawa, an alternative to the Daiwa would be one of the shimano Toriums.

I would also suggest looking at the Avet reels if you want the best of both worlds. Black magic have brought out a selection of reels that Avet make for them, then black magic soup them up and anodize them black.

I use one of the Black magic BMX's, there is a smaller BSX with a narrower spool if you dont want to worry about guiding the line on.

As sammy has said the Torium is another option compared to the saltist style reel (no line feed).

I think from memory you can also upgrade the drag on the torium using the trinidad drags washers.

Which will give better drag pressure.

Not sure if tekota can get drag upgrades.

i was thinking the same as you also with reels and styles etc

and these where my 2 choices.

i think i have made my mind up but only 90%

Edited by johnno

As sammy has said the Torium is another option compared to the saltist style reel (no line feed).

I think from memory you can also upgrade the drag on the torium using the trinidad drags washers.

Which will give better drag pressure.

Not sure if tekota can get drag upgrades.

i was thinking the same as you also with reels and styles etc

and these where my 2 choices.

i think i have made my mind up but only 90%

Hi Johnno,

I have had my tekota 600 upgraded with Trinidad drag washers, pulls like a screaming child at the supermarket.

Hi Brenton,

When you looked at the TLD range did you look at the TR2000LD Charter Special?

It has the same lever system as the TLD range.

I have had this reel of a Wilson Charter Special 15KG rod and it has never let me down from

25lb snapper to rays and sharks. I use it for just about everything - I have it rigged with 50lb Bionic braid,

Its my favourite reel to use on the downrigger as you just bump the lever up und down to adjust your

line release if you speed up or slow down and I love ballooning for sharks with it.

I have seen some many good anglers on TV and on charters and friends use them for all sorts of different fishing, Rex Hunt is always using them and you can tell he likes using it as they arent shiny and brand new from the box like latest gear their trying to promote

They used to be expensive but I bought mine for $185 with a Free hat - but because the TLD's range which these are based on are not the latest or shinest model around, you get a a lot more for your money.

post-2971-1170911582_thumb.jpg

They are not too heavy and great for light to medium jigging, bottom bashing or trolling easier to use especially as its one of the few reels with a lever drag and level wind, the only negative is that 50lb leader is about the thickest you can get throught the level wind without it fouling up. But it hold 300+ metres braid and I just run a longer double of braid and a shorter length of mono if i need to go higher for the leader

The tackle shops don't seem to like them very much for some reason?? And they always try to cross sell

to a different reel.

I currently have ABU6000/7000, Daiwa Millionaire, Quantum IRCW and a Sealine Tournament and a TR200G in my collection of overheads and the Charter special combo is by far my favourite as it can be used for so

many different things. With the brake backed right off they also cast metal lures really well.

Everyone has an opinion of the best reels, but its about the cheapest brand name lever drag out there

and its one of the few level winds. I had the Tr200G which is the star drag version before the charter special

and that was also a top reel

Jason

Thanks all,

Yeah the AVET was something I looked at but initially didn't think much of it, might have another look, oh and ppsgt strong arguement you have for another reel (TR2000LD) I was thinking of but initially backed away from might also look into the 200G star drag. Two excellent reels IMO that will have to join the fray again. Sorry Johnno and Squidgie, the Torium left the list as soon as I saw the Saltist, very close IMO and considering the time I spend fishing the Torium range just wasn't worth the extra $$$

Again thanks all, a couple of reels to look into, however, re the other part of the question, does the line guide on the reel (tr2000ld also) get us into trouble, why don't more of us recreational fishermen switch to the guided on line rather than laying it ourselves when it comes to overhead reels. It seems like there must be a negative if reels like the Saltist from Daiwa are still offered on the market. As a side note, can you use an overhead reel in a normal fashion for threadlines (ie underneath the rod not overhead), I was having a conversation with someone and couldn't see a reason why not but he was adamant that it would lose most of it's capacity to reel in the fish. cheers

Sorry

The Charter Special is not really a jigging reel. With the small spool and low gear ratio you will be battling to move the lure quick enough to interest the fish. I don't know if you intend to use mono or gelspun line, but mono is better for trolling and you can still jig with mono.

Have you looked at the Shimano Trynos 20? It has a 5:1 gear ratio so can really move a jig as well as holding more line than the other reels mentioned.

Cheers to all comments,

I have gravitated to the Saltist STT50 (maybe the 50H), for the extra line capacity that Billfisher pointed out, looks like I'll still be laying the line but hey we can't have everything cause they obviously don't make it lol. I'll be putting the TR2000LD (also for $185 but no hat lol) under the counter to pick up shortly.

Pro-Range supreme 40 or 45lb or Penn 10X Pro line 40lb mono-line was thought to be going on the reels, was toying with the idea of fireline but has anyone used fireline for trolling/jigging??????

Am still going to continue to look at overhead reels mounted under the rod but I have put the line guide thing down to personal opinion and the fish targeted.

Brenton

Am still going to continue to look at overhead reels mounted under the rod but I have put the line guide thing down to personal opinion and the fish targeted.

Brenton

Why do you want to put an overhead under the rod? The only time I have seen this is in advertisments where the ad agency has no understanding of fishing! Not only would you have to wind backwards, you will have a hell of a job guiding the line on the reel evenly when retrieving line, let alone fighting a fish.

Billfisher,

he has an alvey reef king 24kg stick and an old penn overhead so I started to suggest wacking on the overhead, he started foaming at the mouth lol. Except that you'd have to use the rod upside down and the top guide wouldn't work properly so you might change it to a roller, I really couldn't see it not working

Well I guess I owe him a beer, it could be done but wouldn't be worth it.

Brenton

Sammy what sort of drag weight is it putting out.

Have you tested it.

Haha... the problem is that my scales only go up to 10kg... i have no idea, but all i know now is that it has enough to break 30lb Fins braid, which was impossible before.