Crabing In The Brisbane Waters

Dorado 2

Hi guys will be going up to Wagstaffe ( Central Coast) for 2 weeks near the end of Feb and for the first time I will be trying to catch some blue swimmers crabs, is this time of month too late for this sort of thing?? can anyone guide me where to drop the traps?? just a general guide would do as I do not want you to give away any secret spots, perhaps that way I might get a response ;)

Cheers

Hi guys will be going up to Wagstaffe ( Central Coast) for 2 weeks near the end of Feb and for the first time I will be trying to catch some blue swimmers crabs, is this time of month too late for this sort of thing?? can anyone guide me where to drop the traps?? just a general guide would do as I do not want you to give away any secret spots, perhaps that way I might get a response ;)

Cheers

Cheers

mate your not allowed crab traps or witches hats in Brisbane waters sorry

Mate

as previous member said trapping is not permitted in Brisbane waters but don't worry, you dont need traps to catch crabs there. I go after them about twice a week and never come home with less than 10. All you need is 4 handlines with a head or tail. Anything else is just not tough enough and once the crab gets the slightest mouthful he will let go. The trick is to be on the water by dawn. You will not get them before dawn or any later than about 8.30 am. Sure you will get the odd one in the middle of the day but if you want t o get them in numbers you need to be at it before the wind and light is up. Forget it if there is any breeze. They will grab the bait but you will not be able to get them to the surface.

As far as spots go almost anywhere will produce. Look for spots where weed turns into sand. I fish at Tascott but I believe between rieleys and St Huberts is good.

Remember - release the females. even if they don't have eggs

Wow did not know that!! where is the info on that?? How long ago did they ban the use of crab traps?? bloody hell just blew $80 for nothing.

Cheers

Brisbane Waters has been closed to Crab Nets/pots etc for at least 30yrs .

B.F.

If your basing at Wagstaffe you don't have to go far at all to catch crabs. There is a narrow channel that runs around behind the Oyster leases in front of the Hardys Bay Marina. Straight in front of you and off to the right when you come down the hill to the T intersection. This goes into a largish expanse of water protected by the leases and up to 5m deep. There are a few boats moored in there. Fish with handlines as descrided in previous post and when a crab is present retrieve the line slowly and carefully up to just beneath the surface and pick him up with a scoop net. I've made a crabbing net by removing the nylon mesh from a landing net and fashioning a scoop out of chicken wire around the frame. The reason is simple. Crabs tangle into a soft net and it can sometimes take ages to get them out plus the risk of being pinched. They don't mind hurting you if they can as you probably know.

I use mullet bait , either fillets or the frame, which has been working for me for 30 years. Other good bait is to use some light gear and worm or prawn and try to catch a couple of baby snapper or whiting. Cut it in half and straight back out there. They love them. I always use a couple of smaller baits as well on a decent long shank hook. The reason is simple. Flathead love crab baits too and I've lost several over the years. If you tie your bait on instead of using a hook when you get them to the surface the flatty blows a big puff of water and the bait straight out in your face and then casually swims away deliberately slow. It's enough to make you cry. I'm sure all Brisbane water crabbers can tell you the same story. There used to be an aligator in the hole in front of Tascot that teased countless would be assasins many years ago including my father and me.

Late afternoon is just as good as early morning in my opinion if you can get somewhere out of the breeze and taking 6 -10 is easy if they are around. Using the same methods Blue Swimmers can be caught from the long jetty jetty that sticks out right on the corner of the leases. Other spots to try are on the flats around St. Huberts Island and the water just to the left when you go under the Woy Woy Road and Rail Bridges into Woy Woy Bay. They are just about everywhere really.

• 13 years later...