Solo Fishing/boating Question

Chaos

Was hoping to get out on the weekend for some fishing but looks like my mate can't make it. We have a Haines Hunter 570 SF and so far it takes the 2 of us to put in and retrieve. I think there may have been a thread not to long ago with suggestions on the best way (easiest) to put in and retrieve a boat solo but can't find it. Can anyone help on where to find this thread and any suggestions on handling the boat on dispatch and retrieval solo?

Cheers

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

Do you have a drive on/off trailer?

Launching and retrieving by youself is made harder by bad ramp facilities.

Which ramp do you launch from?

I launch my 16 foot fibre glass half cabin most times by myself, And can usually get it on the trailer easily by myself.

I bought a power winch, and extended the remote cable long enougth so I can stand at the back of the trailer and switch it off and on. Its only a $150 one I bought 4 years ago and its never missed a beat. I have an old boat/trailer with only keel rollers and skids and it pulls it up no problems

You also need a rope that will reach from the bow cleat to the stern cleat + about 4 metres. It should be long enough to be able to guide the boat from where its tied up to where the trailer is. The rope end connected to bow is used guide boat to the trailer and the end connected to the rear cleat stops the boat swinging around in the breeze ( and hitting other boats - which is the biggest risk of retreiving by yourself) . Connect it to the rear cleat on the side that the wind is pushing around, you can then pull against wind with the stern rope.

When you back the trailer down extend the winch cable to with no slack and tightened/locked to point of the trailer where the eye hook will be when the boat hits the first roller, or the furtherest point on the trailer you can pull the boat up using your bow rope. If you have the electric winch just press the button and your away if you have a manual winch, walk back towards it holding the stern rope end so the wind doesnt swing the boat and the bow end so it doesnt slip off the trailer.

The further you can pull it up the trailer the better, it works as the more rollers its on the less likely it will be to slip off, As i only have keel rollers and skids

i just need to hold the boat straight until i start the winch then it goes on perfect.

Practise getting it on by yourself next time you have your mate there, you soon

work out the tricks - with some there to help back you up.

If its a drive on trailer let me know as I can give you some tips on how to drive it off by yourself

Jason

Thanks Jason and Johnno,

Pretty much answers all my questions. Trailer is a drive on with rollers but its heavy. Sounds like the retreiver mate is a good investment and will see if I can pick up a cheap auto winch from supa cheap auto.

Cheers

Kurt

That makes it easy then to get it off the trailer by yourself.

Make up a spliced rope with two looped ends. Make it long enough to run from the winch post on the

trailer to the front cleat or anchor tie off post on the bow in a straight line so it doesnt interfere with anything,

plus about 50cms of slack. And that the loop eye for the bow end fits snuggly over the cleat and wont slip off, but can be removed quickly

Now at the ramp Loop small eye through the big eye around the trailer post, [/u]dont tie it around the post - then place the small eye in a clear path to the bow cleat

Reverse trailer down as normal but with the front hatch open and start to release the boat of the trailer with the winch until you new rope comes up tight and is holding the boat. Release you winch hook and climb into the boat. start it up and drive it back up the trailer with enough power to hold it up on the trailer

and create enough slack to unhook the rope easily. Leave the throttle in this position and engine running

Now reach through the front hatch unhook the rope front the bow, walk back to the helm, click the

motor in neutral your boat slides of the trailer and your away.

Practise with a mate watching before doing it solo, to make sure everythings clear and holding

but once you master it you'll be able to drive your boat off the trailer by youself even at the peak times

at the ramp. You can get a $300 special clip that bolts onto the trailer and boat that releases it all

automatically - But $5 worth of 14mm rope is a far better idea and safer idea when your by youself.

Half the reason its so hard tp launch your boat is that the Northshore ramps are probably the worst

in Australia, Rose Bay is OK, and the one new Gladesville is OK but wheres the Pontoons???

At leats the one near the mooney mooney bridge has now got one pontoon

I'm originally from Adelaide - heres some pictures of my local boat ramp. Of the three major metro ramps

in Adelaide this is the worst! Yet is far superior to any Sydney metro ramp Ive seen in my 2 years in Sydney.

post-2971-1171079781_thumb.jpgpost-2971-1171079798_thumb.jpg

It has signs up that give 3 lanes for lauching prior to 11am and one retrieving, after 11am they swap

around to 3 retreiving lanes and one laucnhing lane. Even at peak time on a long weekend with 200 boat in the car park... and you rarely have to wait long to retreive you boat

Jason

ive got a haines 565r, which i regularly launch and retrieve myself, i have a multi roller trailer so i simply drive it on, then leave it in gear while i stick my head through the front hatch and stick the hook on.

Thanks madmac,

Got the ezi guide setup on the weekend to stick on the trailer to help when the wind and current are up. Will use the same method as you and try out some of the other suggestions and see what works best. I use the KISS method (keep it simple stupid) in these things.

Cheers

Mate, leave a trailer length of cable hanging and clip it somewhere near the back tire. Then get the boat and attach the cable to the boat and place it on the last roller. Then simply hold the cable tight against the last roller and follow the cable right up to the winch keeping pressure on the cable. Then pull in!

Mate i do it all the time, sometimes quicker than having two people fiddle with it..

If theres alot of wind, just ask the nearest bloke to give you a hand, people usually offer anyways.

DAN