Harbour Today 10/02/07

bmar560

Hi All,

It's been too long since I posted a report here.

Anyway my future :wife: and I went to try out the harbour today, launched at rose bay at 5am and we head to clifton for squid not much luck though. We then wandered around middle head looking for a bit of surface action, we were welcomed by a cute SEAL which was resting on one of the channel markers. NO SURFACE ACTION around so we head to the "cakes" for plenty of bream on pilchards, but no kingies which is a bit unusual for this place. We spent 2 hours there and decided to wander around again.

About 2 mins from the cakes we saw some fish feeding on the surface !! yoooo hooo. When we got closer to them I realized that most of them were kingies from 50-70cm. I then started to cast out 3" BM after a few casts I managed to hook up a tailor which ended up biting my line ! :mad3: Another boat around us managed to hookup bonitos and tailors/

The kingies didn't really want to play today, they were following my lure up until 1.5 away from my boat then they would turn away. :wacko::wacko:

My guess is they're feeding on something really small.. like a 2cm whitebait. I tried metals but my smallest was 15gr and that didn't work either for the kings.

The surface action was around for more than an hour, but hookup rate was really low.

After that it started raining and we head back to rose bay to call it a day.

All in all it was an interesting day chasing the fish around the harbour, the wind gods were really nice today with only a slight breeze throughout the day. I'll definitely come back to harbour some time soon with smaller metals and hopefully the kings will play this time

Cheers

Edited by bmar560

Great report - better luck next time!!

With your smaller lures, perhaps add a removable splitshot to it (even further up the line), to give it that little bit of weight to get it down to where the kingies were playing! Might do the trick?

Cheerio

Roberta

With your smaller lures, perhaps add a removable splitshot to it (even further up the line), to give it that little bit of weight to get it down to where the kingies were playing! Might do the trick?

Cheerio

Roberta

Thanks for the tip Roberta :biggrin2: I'll definitely try that.

Cheerio

Roberta

do you mean something like the concept of a down rigger? so u kinda down rig ur lure with split shots yeh?

Hey Mario,

Better luck next time bro...my cousin went out and had no luck either. ill give it a shot this weekend, using squid strips. the kingies were feasting on them last time.

if i can't hitch a ride with ya, its coz my inlaws want to go again :/ lol.

Bad luck about the fish..Were they in more in the harbour or around the headlands where i found them last week?

The kingies are definently amongst the tailor, sitting deep, and if you can get you lure past the tailor the kingies will slam your lure!

DAN

They are more in the harbour. Not sure where they're going to be around this week after all this rain, the water will be murky and full of debris

dazzassj6,

I don't think it's downrigging, just adding a bit more weight to your lure without impacting the movement of the lure significantly. So that the lure sinks faster to get the fish below the surface

Ali,

you've spoilt your inlaws mate.. hehe it's good watching them enjoying it though, I'm quite surprised they didn't get seasick. :wacko: