Which Boat. Help Me Decide

tricks

hey guys

im looking to purchase a new qiuntrex and need some advice from you guys. i took out my 3m tinnie with shallow sides out to botany on sat and when the wind picked up i had to head back in for safety reasons. so this is the reason for the upgrade. my budget and space is limited so ive been looking at the quintrex open boat range. the 420 dory is a little big so im looking at the 375 or 395 dart. does anyone own this boat or have owned this boat. would like to find out a few things (not from a sales man) such as will it handle being in the bay or the harbour in reasonable wheather and can a live bait tank be fitted and so on any advice would be much appreciated as i would like to make a purchase soon

thanks patrick

G'day Patrick

I dont own a quintrex boat at all but I went out with Darren from trailer boat Hire ( one of our sponsors)

the boats he uses are dory 420 from memory you can find out the details from here

maybe he can steer you in the right direction

cheers

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

Those two boats you have mentioned Patrick should only be used in smooth to calm waters .

If you want more seaworthiness go for the 4 metre plus boat and that will serve you well.

Cheers Stewy.

NB. The Bay can be nasty even in a 6 metre half cabin at times and your best bet is to always watch the forecast.

If in doubt and in trouble ,head for the nearest land mass and beach your vessel.

ive sent an email to darren at trailerboat hire and waiting for a reply thanks guys. i would prefer the 420 i may take one for a run and see how it goes jus worried bout the size. yeah i dont think i'l take the 3m out in the bay again the weather changes so quick. was at the runway water smooth as went for a cruise to brighton then on the way back it became so choppy (well it was choppy for the tinnie) scary situation

Gday Tricks

Ive got a 420 Stacer Seahorse (very similar to trailerboat hire) and couldnt be happier with it. Punts along very nice with a 30hp Mercury. Ideal for multi purpose fishing, be it sp chucking, at anchor or downrigging. Cuts through chop allright, just can get a bit wet sometimes (no screen)

One other point Stacer is owned and made by Quintrex

Cheers Shaun

im looking for something around six to seven thousand mark. its not a lot but all im really after is a open tinnie that i can take out into bontany and the harbour

Hi. Alternatives..

Look at the Sea Jay Magnum 4.15. Wide deep and Great sea boat. I sold mine last year for a 5.25 stacer.

Been out in some real nasty seas in it, Alongside Quinnies.. and others. Get the sea Jay...

30 hp more than enuff.

3 blokes . 12 km offshore at night. 4 x 25plus kg Black jew. plus LOTS of fishing gear. Still came back in seas at 16/17 knots. (GPS) Definitely tracks better than Quinnie, and Stessl in 3 to 4 ft seas...They were with us.

Probably best Factory production boat on market..

Regards Macka17

Hi. Alternatives..

Look at the Sea Jay Magnum 4.15. Wide deep and Great sea boat. I sold mine last year for a 5.25 stacer.

Been out in some real nasty seas in it, Alongside Quinnies.. and others. Get the sea Jay...

30 hp more than enuff.

3 blokes . 12 km offshore at night. 4 x 25plus kg Black jew. plus LOTS of fishing gear. Still came back in seas at 16/17 knots. (GPS) Definitely tracks better than Quinnie, and Stessl in 3 to 4 ft seas...They were with us.

Probably best Factory production boat on market..

Regards Macka17

thanks macka will check out the site now. never thought bout the sea jay range. was looking at the brooker site they make a nice tinnie too

cheers patrick

thanks macka will check out the site now. never thought bout the sea jay range. was looking at the brooker site they make a nice tinnie too

cheers patrick

I'd be looking at Stessl. Bluefin Savage, etc. B4 the brookers. They were at the lower end of quality boats. Don't know if they've changed.

We have a lot of Sea Jays up here. None have a bad word for them..Same with the Quinnies, and Stessl's.

Although stessl had terrible welding on some of the earlier ones. That's why I went S/Jay in the first place.. Good welds. and great boat at sea..

Enjoy whatever you get.

Macka17

I also have a Sea Jay Mine is the 4.55 and she's a pretty sweet ride

I have had her out in mildy rough conditions 1.5 - 2 meter swell

and she handled it easly

And they are quite beamy mine is 2.10 meters across with a reverse chine

and I rarely get wet

But hey this is only my opinion what one person may like another wont

I have a couple of their brochures around the place if you want I will send em to ya

let me know

Cheers

Coollamon

Edited by coollamon

I also have a Sea Jay Mine is the 4.55 and she's a pretty sweet ride

I have had her out in mildy rough conditions 1.5 - 2 meter swell

and she handled it easly

And they are quite beamy mine is 2.10 meters across with a reverse chine

and I rarely get wet

But hey this is only my opinion what one person may like another wont

I have a couple of their brochures around the place if you want I will send em to ya

let me know

Cheers

Coollamon

yeah that would be great mate, thanks heaps its hard to decide dont want to buy a boat and be let down