Anyone Had This Problem?

costello

G'day Raiders.

A bit of a long shot. Just want to sound out a problem i'm having with the money pitt that is my boat, before i go spend up AGAIN! There's a high pitch ringing noise coming out of the hand throttle box (accelerator) next to the steering wheel? I'm going to pull it apart and have a look what i can do but if anyone has experienced this problem i might have more of an idea of what i'm looking for? The more you accelerate the higher the pitch gets.

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

overheating engine alarm.

Good luck.

penguin

:dito:

Sounds like the alarm to me. Does your forward control make a short peep sound between accessories and ignition when you first turn the key. You may have to listen hard to hear it. Thats the alarm self check.

Make sure your telltale is blowing a solid water stream or watch the water pressure guage if you have one. I'd be pulling the gearbox off and checking the water pump impeller before serious damage occurs.

What type / size /age motor is it?

Just my luck, and it just had a 100 hour service. It's a 75hp Mercury (1998) The funny thing is the noise is there when i first turn the boat on so it wouldn't be hot yet. In saying that it does sound like an alarm except that the pitch varies with acceleration?

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by costa

Just my luck, and it just had a 100 hour service. It's a 75hp Mercury (1998) The funny thing is the noise is there when i first turn the boat on so it wouldn't be hot yet. In saying that it does sound like an alarm except that the pitch varies with acceleration?

Cheers,

Mark

It may be a short circuit in the alarm and tachometer circuits which would explain the pitch change with increased throttle. But check your water out first. Outboards don't like being hot and dry. A bit like me really.

The tacho wiring is usually present whether you have the guage or not. A bit of salt water inside your forward control unit could be enough to run a current. Only guessing though.

It may be a short circuit in the alarm and tachometer circuits which would explain the pitch change with increased throttle. But check your water out first. Outboards don't like being hot and dry. A bit like me really.

The tacho wiring is usually present whether you have the guage or not. A bit of salt water inside your forward control unit could be enough to run a current. Only guessing though.

Appreciate the input livo (and Penguin). I definately hope it's a short circuit rather than overheating, it did spend a couple of day's on the water without a cover over it during the holiday's, but i've got somewhere to start now. Thanks again mate.

Cheers,

Mark

The alarm sounds for overheating, if it is oil injected it also has an alarm for the oil, and apparently if they are starved for fuel it also triggers the alarm.

Make sure all the fuel filters are cleaned and the hose is not kinked, and check the oil as well.

I have had a similar problem with mine, even after paying $460 for a service. The previous owner installed 2 glass filters as well as the water seperator/filter and the guy that did the service did not find the one under the transom and it was filthy, so much so that it was sucking the primer bulb flat.

I cleaned the filter and everything was OK for a while, but having problems again. Noticed the fuel line has a kink in it where it goes into the engine. On closer examination, he replaced the fuel line with oil cooler hose. Tomorrow I am getting EFI fuel line (a lot stiffer and harder to kink) and I am getting rid of the glass filters.

Cheers

Greg

Happend to me twice its because u need oil in it i had half full oil in it and still done the noise turned the engine of put oil full turned it back on and was sweet always happens to me just refill ur oil max and should be workn straight away