The Return Of The Hoodlums!

namesay

Yesterday was the first time this year that I found a patch of BIG fish actually inside the harbour. Late summer and autumn are the months for large kings in the inshore waters.

THere are lots of small rats and they are tremendous fun but the presence of the bigger fish is getting me excited. Actually a fw weeks ago I have seen some bigger fish come into the harbour...now they are definitley HERE! Hence the title of this report.

AND YEAR BY YEAR they are getting BIGGER!!! I haven't been busted off on 50lb braid on a straight pull but I was busted up yesterday. Might have had a small nick in the braid but it sounded like a gun shot when it poarted. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Well done once again mate, the Nobel is sure getting a real workout so far! Best of luck with the Flattie's, it's really not that hard once you find where they are. I've been killing it with them, yet i've had a handful of day's out trying to christen my new boat with a Kingie and still no luck :ranting2: one day :biggrin2:

Cheers,

Mark

I am going out tomorrow afternoon to have another crack at these guys. I am thinking of up grading my tackle to 80lb braid. May have to up my drag on the torsa as well to 15kg's. At the moment it is running 10kg and it felt totally inadequate on a couple fo the fish we got yesterday.

These growing kingies will keep the tackle store owners happy. CHeers Kelvin

Hey Danny it wasn't a dream day. I got smoked a couple of times!!!! You know me when I get smoked...It grates on my nerves for days.

I think the coming months will be great! Expecting more fish in the 8kg+ range. I am thinking about occy legs as kingy bait now. Weren't the squid hard to get after the rains! Luckily for me and with plenty of egimax I scored enough but it was hard yakka.

Just reset the drag on the torsa for 15kg at strike. Stripped off 20meters of braid and now I am ready for round 2 for tomorrow!!! Just hope I get those squid.

I'll see you out there. I am in the blue boat. CHeers Kelvin

Great catch mate. I just cannot believe that our beautiful harbour holds fish like this. Your reports are very detailed and we fellow raiders appreciate the time and effort you put into these. Seeing is one thing but putting everything into practice is another. All this down rigging is new to me , I have never tried it. Do you really need a sounder to do this type of fishing? At what speed do you travel whilst down rigging? How does it work, what type of line do you use and can anybody do it? What part of the harbour do you find holds these big fish? Thanks Ray :1fishing1:

There are heaps of threads on downrigging. Just use the search section and you'll probably have more than enough information than youi'll ever need.

But you do need a sounder. Almost impossible to downrig without one. And the question of what part of the harbour holds these fish? Well they can be found anywhere. One spot may hold them oneday and the kings move on the next. It also varies from hour to hour. Just need to try until you find them. Otherwise it would be easy!!!!! Cheers Kelvin

Hey bro,

all you need to do is jump the fence...

its waypoint 002 haha

do you keep your sounder on the boat Kelvin?

haha

i am going out saturday and sunday..

might hit browns sunday, and if i get time to get a downrigger will target kings on saturday..

whos planning what??

There are heaps of threads on downrigging. Just use the search section and you'll probably have more than enough information than youi'll ever need.

But you do need a sounder. Almost impossible to downrig without one. And the question of what part of the harbour holds these fish? Well they can be found anywhere. One spot may hold them oneday and the kings move on the next. It also varies from hour to hour. Just need to try until you find them. Otherwise it would be easy!!!!! Cheers Kelvin

THANKYOU KELVIN

Hey bro,

all you need to do is jump the fence...

its waypoint 002 haha

do you keep your sounder on the boat Kelvin?

haha

i am going out saturday and sunday..

might hit browns sunday, and if i get time to get a downrigger will target kings on saturday..

whos planning what??

Hey Tony you haven't got a downrigger yet?!? :1yikes: Boy I would have thought you would have got one by now. Anyway , downriggers aren't really needed they just make things a little easier. You can use sinkers to do the same job without going through the expense.

I don't keep the sounder and gps on the boat!!!! Way point 002 may be barren for all I know. These kings do have fins and move a lot!!! THere are several wrecks that I fish in MH and have shown a few people and they can be hot or cold. One particular wreck was fishing really well for 2 months then absolutely nothing for the past 5 weeks. Just gotta try all the spots and then look for targets of opportunity...got to think like hunters not gatherers when chasing these kings.

Was still getting kings on Sunday without a GPS so there you go. I might name this waypoint after you....way point RZEE!!! CHeers Kelvin

Heya kelvin... well done on the kings....

could have been worse than parting braid on the side of the boat.... a lost rod overboard is much worse... esp witha Torsa on it!

I should be picking up my new rod from Fishfinder Tony on Sunday... cant wait... just got to get out there and try it.

Rodger

Hey Tony you haven't got a downrigger yet?!? :1yikes: Boy I would have thought you would have got one by now. Anyway , downriggers aren't really needed they just make things a little easier. You can use sinkers to do the same job without going through the expense.

I don't keep the sounder and gps on the boat!!!! Way point 002 may be barren for all I know. These kings do have fins and move a lot!!! THere are several wrecks that I fish in MH and have shown a few people and they can be hot or cold. One particular wreck was fishing really well for 2 months then absolutely nothing for the past 5 weeks. Just gotta try all the spots and then look for targets of opportunity...got to think like hunters not gatherers when chasing these kings.

Was still getting kings on Sunday without a GPS so there you go. I might name this waypoint after you....way point RZEE!!! CHeers Kelvin

HAHA!!

:Funny-Post:

Shit stirring only makes me more determined and anxious to learn...

Always a pleasure reading your posts Kelvin