Pennspinfisher950 Or Shimano Spheros 14000

domza

Im considering buying a HEAVY eggbeater reel in the near future.

The above mentioned reels are the ones im looking at and plan on fishing for big kings, jews, and dollies with this reel and will use it at a later stage for jigging for kings. I also want to do some beach and rock fishing with it.

Can anyone recommend another reel in the same class, a rod to match it with and which line to put on it.

both the shimano and penn are around 200 and about 250 is all i wona spend on the reel alone.

thanks,

p.s no overheads :biggrin2:

Edited by domza

have to agree, just picked up the spheros 14000fa for the same purposes.

haven't tried it yet but had one issue already, the heavier mono (0.7mm dia for 40lb) just wasn't going to lay enough on the reel (dad and i estimated about 130mtrs and i've had tuna run further), unfortunately I only had some 30lb which is on it atm until i can get hold of the thinner berkley or similar fused which will allow much more line to go on and with a heavier breaking strain IMO

Brenton

Go the Spheros, Tony from sponsor Fishfinder will sort you out. Picked mine up and with the Raider discount ended up being cheaper than the Spheros in the catalog from M*'s and the online tackle shops.

Tony can sort upgrade kits as well.

Cheers

Evil

I have a spheros 14000, upgraded with 3 extra bearings, carbon drag and a stella handle (which is not that necessary)... i run 80lb braid over mine and it happily pulls out stupid amounts of drag! and as long as you care for it, i.e: freshwater rinse and a spray with inox every now and then it will give you years of reliable service.

Sure its no stella or saltiga, but it is a tough workhorse and gets the job done

• 1 month later...

AND FURTHER!!!

casting distance come primarily from your rod and technique anyway

reel has very little to do with it, so long as it has a good solid bail arm

CFD

Hi. I use the Penn 8500. on a fenwick HMG stick. Last fish it pulled in, was a 56 lb Gold spot. After several 20ish kg Cobia.

T'is a clunky reel compared to SHimano and good Daiwa. But. for heavy fishing, I'll back it against ANY Jap reel for strength. There's no need for upgrades of anything either. Just 50lb Braid, Good leader, and go for it.

Edited by macka17

I have a spheros 14000, upgraded with 3 extra bearings, carbon drag and a stella handle (which is not that necessary)... i run 80lb braid over mine and it happily pulls out stupid amounts of drag! and as long as you care for it, i.e: freshwater rinse and a spray with inox every now and then it will give you years of reliable service.

Sure its no stella or saltiga, but it is a tough workhorse and gets the job done

How much line do you have on the reel mate?

Shimano says you can fit about 280/290m of 20lb (equivilent to 80lb braid) on it

If you are going to use it off beach and rocks down the track I would stick to the Penn. Like macka said it is clunky, and nowhere near as smooth as the spheros, but it will keep on going forever...especially if you are going to use it off the beach and rocks

Try to look for the old model which are made in the USA. Pretty hard to find

How much line do you have on the reel mate?

Shimano says you can fit about 280/290m of 20lb (equivilent to 80lb braid) on it

I fit about that of 50lb braid (spiderwire I think), but you can find thinner braids around.

Evil