We 3 Kingie Fishermen!

namesay

Hi everyone! Today was my usual afternoon session on the kings. It was a little unusual as I had a few "deckies"on board. First was my father. He was so impressed with the kingies on Sunday that he decided to come along and the second was Teddy who is Danny's twin brother. Both Danny and Teddy ( Barrykrocker ) have been doing a kingfish apprenticeship. I guess I have been supervising their progress. They have the squidding sorted and the next level was to hunt down some hoods. I have taken Danny out several times and we cleaned up on the kings so it was Teddy's turn. :thumbup:

I have my new Noble now smelling really fishy and she is now covered in blood, guts and ink! I got to the ramp at Roseville to be greeted with wind 15-20 knots. Also met no no no there and we exchanged notes on what was happening with the kings. Remarkably we had the same thoughts and conclusions.

I picked up Teddy at the spit at 3pm and went to get some squid. The squid have been tough since the rains and the wind didn't help. I went to one of my spots and with liberal use of egimax, we started to get a squid here and there. It wasn't easy but we got about half a dozen.....mainly small squid.

I rigged up my Torsa and we downrigged. The bait was not as prolific as it was on wednesday but fishing in the middle of the day can cause this. I found a bait school on the sounder sitting 7-9 meters deep. I set my bomb to that depth and trolled around it. Pretty soon there was a tap on the rod then WHAM!

We were onto the first fish. Teddy was on strike and I handed the rod to him. I gave Teddy some coaching as he wasn't used to the heavy drag settings I employ. Got a few rod butt bruises....but that is GOOD pain! :biggrin2: He got the fish in and there were pats on the back all around and lots of big grins. It was Teddy's biggest harbour kingie at 90cm.

post-2057-1171632064_thumb.jpg

I set out another bait and pretty soon we got another strike. It was my turn on strike and the fish took dive after dive. But 10kgs of drag was getting the fish up to the surface and we landed another fish of 90 odd cm.

My sounder was doing a sterling job of showing all the fish. On the third bait we get a small tap on the rod. All of us thought it was a little picker . Perhaps a tailer or a bream but all of a sudden the rod just folds right over and the reels starts to scream!!!! Before I could even take the rod out of the holder, we were busted off! :thumbdown:

After that bust off the fish went quiet. This often happens with kings. SO we tried a few other spots for nil....too WINDY! Strange when the fish go quiet, you start to think about your stomach and Teddy came to the rescue with a few sandwiches that he cooked up in the boat. I just hope you wiped the knife of all the fish blood and guts before you used that to cut the salami. The sandwiches were great . Perhaps sashimi snadwichese may take off.

We came back to where we got busted off to try it once more. We didn't have to wait long and the rod took off. My father was on strike and he landed another fish. It was smaller than the other 2 but he had a grin from ear to ear.

post-2057-1171621276_thumb.jpg

By now we had run out of bait and we had our fun. I just realise that I have fished longer than Teddy has been alive!!!! OMG!!!! Another good day on the Kings. Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

Kelvin,

very good teaching and also Im proud your getting your Dad stuck into some kings too.

Sometimes its hard to take them out, but when they see the fish and catch them, they too become hooked on fishing.

Congratualtions, NICE BOAT

Squidboy

Well done again Kelvin, certainly some nice fish caught. You must be losing your touch, it seems you are getting busted quite often, I have never seen you even be challenged by a King, these ones must be thumpers, I bet it has you hopping mad :mad3:

Great to see your dad wanting to get out on the Noble, why wouldn't you !!!!

Compare your dads smile to your son's, any similarities !!??

Look forward to see how you fair on the weekend. Hopefully I will have something worth writing about.

Wow :1yikes::1yikes:

your reports get me TOO excited lol

Well done again mate :thumbup:

Easy KingsRule, all hands above the table :074:

It was awesome to hit the water at 3pm and have a session like that. i'm glad the sandwiches went down a treat. it was the least i could do, being put onto action like that!

I have a suspicion that some of the strikes I am getting busted off from aren't kings. There are LOTS of sharks around and a couple of bust offs have the hall marks of sharks. CHeers Kelvin

c'mon kelvin, surely that bust-off had all the hallmarks of a 15-20kg king....haha

I swear there are going to be lots of kingfish needing therapy as the legend of the Blue Frog spreads around Sydney Harbour.

Seriously, there are kingfish children right now being scared around the campfire with tales of strange abductions and dissapearances linked to a mythical blue boat.

"And that's why you never take a Kingy Candy from a strager boys and girls!!"

Damn Kelvin, that's some good fishin'.

I have a suspicion that some of the strikes I am getting busted off from aren't kings. There are LOTS of sharks around and a couple of bust offs have the hall marks of sharks. CHeers Kelvin

many reports from sydney fishos have indicated that sharks have been hanging around the channel markers and stealing kings of fishos!! i suppose with the kings everywhre its a plausible proposition..

hope that makes it better...

cheers pk

Thanks pk-fishn!!! That makes me feel better.

This week I got busted off 4 times on 50lb braid. It really gets to me mentally when a bust off occurs. But a couple indeed felt like sharks. One of the bust offs I had on wednesday looked a shark attack as the trace was literally sawn through....and I was fishing over a clean bottom!

Yesterday's bust off was a little different. Could have been anything but for a fish to take so much line out when we have some serious drag seems to suggest that it was a large fish.....I think it was a shark but the trace broke at the swivel.

Actually I found a busted off hook on one of the fish we caught yesterday about a 9/0 chemically sharpened off set hook and this is getting fairly common. It seems like we are getting the fish others lose....second hand fish. Cheers Kelvin

I am sure when Danny sees the photo of that king, he will be green with envy....Wait a minute Teddy and Danny are identical twins :1yikes: !!!! F%$# Ted, Danny can claim it was he who caught the fish. :074::074::074: Cheers Kelvin

Edited by namesay

The new boat has now 19 hours on the clock!

The Noble is turning out to be a Great kingie hunting machine. I am finding it strange being dry!!! My old boat was a very dry boat but the Noble is so much larger and better appointed there is no comparison. The Furuno sounder is absolutely the best bit of gear that I have put on a boat. THe Blue Frog is smelling like kings already.

By my count, I have now caught over 30 kingies on it since delivery last week. CHeers Kelvin