Labour Of Love?

Seagoon

Well, 5 chemicals, about a large tin of elbow grease, a few buckets of sweat, and i still dont have a drop of paint on my boat. I think i have scrubbed/sanded/scraped/wire brushed the entire surface of my boat... i dont want to know how many times!!!

Im getting close though. The photo below is what it looks like at the moment - wrapped in plastic, after etching and before priming. Ideally, we would have etched then immediately primed, but we (my Dad and I) were simply to buggered to paint today, and the wind was up a bit... Priming will happen tomorrow AM, and then first top coat goes on 2 hours later. Final coat Tues, pin-stripe Wed. Do boats still come with pin stripes? Maybe i can leave that off...

This has been an amazing experience, but so far, the amazingly satisfied feeling part hasnt happened! So far ive learned an amazing amount, spent an amazing amount of time, not quite an amazing amount of money, but nearly, and its also been amazingly frustrating too.

Frustrating for two reasons - 1) id rather be fishing, and 2) the amount of work involved, and more specifically, the number of times i have gone over the whole boat with a chemical or tool. Paint stripper, aluclean, plasti bond, metal etch, masking tape, degreaser, wire brush, sand paper, scourer, scrapper, steel wool, sponge, rag, hose, bucket... aaaaagh!!!

But, the light is at the end of the tunnel. And im really looking forward to putting the new fittings on the boat - that will be fun - the finishing touches. But anthing to do with paint... im over it!!!

When i started this little endeavour, i had so much passion and drive, which is great - please dont let me turn you off if you are contemplating doing something similar. You may well be much better at it than me and do it much more efficiently. But, i have to say, given my time again, i would say "to hell with boat painting, im GOING FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

post-46-1171785058_thumb.jpg

Edited by paint_stripper

Hey thanks for the encouragement fellas - makes me feel good! Its gonna be white, with a grey pinstripe, which is the orginal colours. Plastibond is an epoxy bog i guess you could say - it is a two part thing with a hardener. It smells like fibreglass - phew!!