How Much Fuel Do You Use Heading To Fad's

wyldchyld01

Hey Raiders,

We have an FAD offshore here at coffs and i've been there a couple of times, having just read the dollies post and with my new reel it got me wondering if i can run out there soon. Prob is we have a new engine on the rear, it's in for it's 10hr service today, yamaha 150 saltwater series 2 long legged thing, 2 stroke oil injected. we have already seen a massive increase in fuel savings since the last 130merc but i don't want to head 20ks offshore in an 18ft grp boat and find running out of fuel occurs. underfloor is a custom 80ltr odd tank, we can also put onboard a 65ltr, 50ltr and a smaller 25ltr thing that i use for the creek tinny.

could raiders maybe post how much fuel they use roughly when heading to their FAD (which is how far roughly?), i might be able to wack in the extra 65 only or even only 25ltr. we haven't fully finished testing it's distance ourselves as the guy that built the underfloor tank didn't install a fuel gauge measure (yeah i know, work out his thinking :1badmood: )

anyway, any help you might offer would be good, cheers all

Brenton

Guest IFishSick.

The Port Hacking FAD - 23km from the ramp we might use around 40 - 50L if we do a bit of quick cruising up there rather than trolling the whole way up and back. That's with 2 people on board.

Using a 6m fibreglass with 150 Evinrude Ocean Pro

We run to the fad 20km in a 575 Alum with a Saltwater series 2, 115 HP and used about 40 litres, but for your first rip i recommend you take plenty of fuel just to be sure, after your first trip you will have a good idea on how it burns fuel.

Take 150 litres with you to be sure, which will be overkill but better safe then sorry i say

Edited by netic

It all depends on your boat, how much you have on board, things and people, the sea conditions, the amount of extra fuel too cause that weighs a bit. Just take as much as you can and you will see from that time how much to take next time. Also what if you hook a Marlin from around the Fad, you may have to chase it, more fuel! Alot get caught around the fads, they eat Dollys like lollypops. All the best.

K.

I have a Mariner Optimax 90hp, so i will use somewhat less that the two stroke guys but here goes....

A day at browns will chew 60L

Last saturday trolling past the shelf and dumping grounds used about 35-40L

A day racing to the close fad, then the far fad, then 12 mile, back to the peak, then trolling and bottom bashing maroubra and flat out back to the boat ramp will use 30L

Now my underfloor tank is 90L, i still carry a spare 20L even if i dont go outside, and 40L if i go past the shelf.... it is also very useful to carry some spare two stroke oil!

Guest Big-Banana

In our boat, 7m Platey, we usually use around 60L now. It had a 175 Merc Optimax behind it. But on the first few trips, take a few extra jerry cans because its better to have it, then to be without it.

cheers all,

was def going to take more than needed lol, taking the 65 and of course 80 full from the ballpark everyone has suggested, 145 ltrs is ok i think, might load the 25 just to be sure,

usually only two of us in the boat, gear and us 300kg max, including 40kgs fresh water in extra tank, both batteries etc, the boat itself is about a tonne all up (yeah heavy deep v half cab)

ocean conditions, etc i understand, we regularily travel the distance up and down the coast (it's a fair distance from north solitary to split and south solitary islands and then down to nambucca south of us) so we have a fair idea, over the distance so far we reckon it's about 40ltrs but it seems way way too little compared to the older merc 135. one 80ltrs usually does us for 2 trips and before it was almost empty after one 13km run.

cheers all, thanks for the help

Brenton

cheers all,

was def going to take more than needed lol, taking the 65 and of course 80 full from the ballpark everyone has suggested, 145 ltrs is ok i think, might load the 25 just to be sure,

usually only two of us in the boat, gear and us 300kg max, including 40kgs fresh water in extra tank, both batteries etc, the boat itself is about a tonne all up (yeah heavy deep v half cab)

ocean conditions, etc i understand, we regularily travel the distance up and down the coast (it's a fair distance from north solitary to split and south solitary islands and then down to nambucca south of us) so we have a fair idea, over the distance so far we reckon it's about 40ltrs but it seems way way too little compared to the older merc 135. one 80ltrs usually does us for 2 trips and before it was almost empty after one 13km run.

cheers all, thanks for the help

Brenton

Take a litre per Km or 2 per Nautical Mile in fair conditions. Then double it to allow for trolling around, moving around a bit etc. So if your FAD is 20 kms from the ramp take at least 80 litres. To be safe and allow for a slow zig zag run home triple it. If I was in your boat I'd take at least 120 litres for such a trip.

I use 50 litres plus for an 80 km round trip and about 2 hours trolling and 40 kms of that is in flat non ocean water from ramp to Box Head, running with a 70 HP in a 16 ft Seafarer solo.

Fill her up mate and take what you can carry. No fuel out there.