Where To Find Poddy Mullet ?

paulg

Can anyone offer some advise as to where i can set up a trap to find some small poddies ?

I have tried under captain cooks bridge( georges river), also the ramp near the airport (Brighton, Mutch avenue) and upper Georges River...

I have had Zero luck... Any Good Spots around this areas ?

Can anyone offer some advise as to where i can set up a trap to find some small poddies ?

I have tried under captain cooks bridge( georges river), also the ramp near the airport (Brighton, Mutch avenue) and upper Georges River...

I have had Zero luck... Any Good Spots around this areas ?

You still haven't caught any !!!!

I've caught them next to the boat ramp at Gray's Point.

You should be able to catch them in any lake or backwater, so try further upstream where there is less current.

Cheers

Greg

Hi, there is a reserve on henry lawson drive at east hills called monash reserve which has small creek running through it i use to get a lot of poddies there. Their is a limit on poddies for bait 20 and no bigger than 15cm.

No have caught zilch so far ..

I have tried kelso beach in the georges river...

I can see heaps of tiny fish but they fail to go into the trap.... they are not mullet though ....

I will give monash reserve a try.... as its near my place....... are poddies their at all tides, which tides ?

thanks for the advise .

Give it a go mid to high tide as u walk into the reserve their is a small bridge. Always got my share there they were poddies nice bait size ones too. Used the clear plastic bait traps and some bread. Let me know how you go use to go there all the time going back 4 -5 years when i lived in the area hope it hasnt changed good luck. Regards Tricky.

Edited by tricky

I use to get them mainly in the afternoon, although i discovered them one day when i stopped my truck there to have my lunch break there was a ton of em back then and if the tide is right they should be there anytime just have a good look and follow the creek around too where it runs back into the river but like i said i always got my share around the small bridge if they are there u shouldnt miss them the water was clear in the creek when i use to catch them i use to stand on the bridge and drop the trap into the water from it then watch the little buggers go in for a feed i always liked catching them there it was very easy. Regards Tricky.

Edited by tricky

Tricky, i went past Monash Reserve on the weekend,, unfortunately, it was low tide and i got absolutely bitten by lots of very very large mosquitoes.

Was not much depth as it was low tide... i did see some silver glitters in the water from the bridge..

i can only assume that they were poddies..

What size were they when you used to get them ?

Mr RB.

If you toss some small pieces of bread, the water will boil if the poddies are there.

It doesn't really matter what tide it is as long as there is around 2 feet of water to put the trap into. If it is too shallow they won't come in close enough.

The day I put my boat in at Gray's Point there was a boat in front of me. I put the poddie trap in and by the time I parked the trailer I had approx 40 poddies in 15 minutes. Once they are there, as soon as you empty the poddies out of the trap and put it back again, 5 minutes later it is full again.

I find that if the sun is out, poddies are around. Usually early morning till lunchtime.

The main thing is to toss some small pieces of bread near the trap as a berley trail. This will lead them to the trap. Once they are there, if you squeeze the small bits of bread (not crust) they will sink. So if you toss these near the trap, they will sink around the trap and bring the poddies to the trap.

Lakes and rivers are good places for poddies.

Cheers

Greg

Tricky, i went past Monash Reserve on the weekend,, unfortunately, it was low tide and i got absolutely bitten by lots of very very large mosquitoes.

Was not much depth as it was low tide... i did see some silver glitters in the water from the bridge..

i can only assume that they were poddies..

What size were they when you used to get them ?

Mr RB.

Hi RB, i would say majority were 8-10cm they were good bait size ones like i said looking from the bridge the water use to be crystal clear and and there was schools of them you could see them clearly. Just like with fish a number of factors will play a part in catching your bait. So mid to high tide would be your best shot in this particular spot. And if they r still there i found if u can see them no need for berley u r only working a small area and with the numbers back then i found even the smallest amount of berley would have more chasing the berley around than going in the trap they will find the trap soon enough and remember there is a limit on poddies for bait 20 and no bigger than 15cm. regards tricky.

Edited by tricky